Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First SW tank

+7
Drake-tripod
theswede
Micheal
Splash
iceblue
Aura
football mom
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

First SW tank - Page 2 Empty Re: First SW tank

Post by football mom Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Well, I started researching, and found out that the cute little anemones are called majano anemones, and are considered a pest in a reef tank.
While not as bad as glass anemones, they will multiply like mad, and if over
populated can sting your corals.
Since I have no corals yet, I decided to try to get rid of them (as many as possible) right away. If you break them up, they will regenerate, so I'm told,
so I siphoned off a bucket of salt water, and took out the live rock with them on it, and scraped them off, then scrubbed the rock in the bucket of SW with a scrub brush. Then I put it all back in, of course didn't get it looking as good as it did before (funny how that always happens)
This morning I can only see 2 of them... so maybe I did some good.
It's hard having to wait to get corals, etc, but I'm told with SW you have to go very slowly.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:19 am

Yesterday I got a Margarita snail.... makes me thirsty just to think about him....

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 am

Sad that the anemones turned out to be pests. I thought they were such cute little things. I suppose saltwater keepers would get a nice little laugh out of me choosing the piece of rock with the most pests attached to it (which is what I would have done). Very Happy
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:40 pm

Well, I'm a little annoyed that the guy didn't tell me that they could be such pests. When I aked him about them, he said "Well some people don't think they are so bac, but others do".
But....if my goal is to get soft corals and zoanths, they really need to go.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by addicted2cichlid Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:13 pm

yea u def want to kill them off as soon as u can, they will take over the tank if not kept in check... at work i use Joe's Juice or Aiptaisia X, both good products, u use a plastic syringe and squirt the middle of the anemone. they shrivel up and die within seconds. they are both very cheap as well, right around $10
addicted2cichlid
addicted2cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:08 am

Well, after much debate, I decided that since I have no corals or zoas yet, I would just go ahead and take drastic measures. I took out the two pieces of rock with visible majanos and they are sitting in the sun.
Of course it nearly broke my heart to kill everything else that was on them, but after hearing stories about people blow-torching the majanos, I decided just to go ahead. Of course the rocks will have to cure again...
There's 3 rocks left in the tank, and I'll keep a close eye to see if any majanos pop up on them.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:42 am

So if people use poison, torches, etc to get rid of them, they must be firmly attached and you can't just pull them off. I don't know anything about them, but I had thought that they could move.

At least you'll know not to chose the rock with those on them again.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2