Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something?

3 posters

Go down

purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something? Empty purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something?

Post by Louie Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:25 am

purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something? DSCF3524
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something? Empty Re: purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something?

Post by iceblue Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 pm

Inbreeding is possible. I haven't seen much in the way of good ice blue's in my area. I would give him a week or so to settle in to see if he colors up. The body and head shape look very much like greshaki and the excessive blue in the fins may be due to poor breeding practices but is not uncomman for what's available.
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something? Empty Re: purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something?

Post by Louie Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:49 pm

i got this guy when he was 1 1/2 inches. he is now 5 inches, i think thats enough time.
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:20 am

Louie wrote:i got this guy when he was 1 1/2 inches. he is now 5 inches, i think thats enough time.

LOL. That's more then enough time.

I would say it's a poorly bred species with some woodshed shinanigans in its background. pig
iceblue
iceblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:46 am

i guess i really got lucky on the other one huh?
you should see 2 others. wow.. there dark as black. with the bright fins.. wanna see?
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:53 am

hey, ice...
I like your Ice Blue he is a pretty one..
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:24 am

I've always wondered about a lot of the fish I see labeled as greshakei, including my own. Reading Ad Konings, Malawi Cichlids in their natural habitat, it says that M. greshakei are unbarred. Mine show barring at times and they are normally fairly light colored.

I'd like to see your others. Smile
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:59 pm

Your right Betty. I have tried to resolve this in past. Mine used to change color depending on mood but rarely lose his stripes. When breeding he turned a solid "ice blue" very much like what Ad has pictured but lighter.

Greshaki's have been around a long time on the open market and considering the amount of other red-top species available I wouldn't be surprised if they were cross bred early on and now have become the norm for aquarium species.
iceblue
iceblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:26 pm

ill post a picture of the females i had but i sold them.
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:35 pm

purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something? Metriaclimagreshakei2female
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Louie wrote:purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something? Metriaclimagreshakei2female
purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something? Metriaclimagreshakeifemale
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 pm

purchased as unknown with a real notiable ice blue, but this im not sure. is he inbred or something? Metriaclimagreshakeiyellowsandpleco
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:32 pm

It could be a wash out from the camera flash but she looks a little too light. Normally they are darker brown with a greenish slightly blue tinge to them.
iceblue
iceblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm

they came from the same tank, my has about 20 and there the only ones in there, he said there about 3 generations in there.
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:51 pm

iceblue wrote:Your right Betty. I have tried to resolve this in past. Mine used to change color depending on mood but rarely lose his stripes. When breeding he turned a solid "ice blue" very much like what Ad has pictured but lighter.

Greshaki's have been around a long time on the open market and considering the amount of other red-top species available I wouldn't be surprised if they were cross bred early on and now have become the norm for aquarium species.

mine gets what i think might be breeding colors. he turns shiny blue every once in a while
Louie
Louie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down