Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue water...

5 posters

Go down

Blue water... Empty Blue water...

Post by jmcfive Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Yes, my water is blue...

Ichthyophthirius treatment chemicals, day 1...

I don't know how I got it in that tank...

Haven't added anything to it, and none of my other tanks have it...

I have a Crabro that loves to 'surf the bubbles'. He, sometimes gets the little bubbles stuck to his face, so when I saw them last night at feeding, I didn't think too much of it (I thought they looked a bit 'diffrent', but...). This morning when I turned the lights on, she was covered with about 20-50 cysts almost everywhere, and the cysts were starting on a few of the other guys and gals in the tank... To the LPS I went... for a fresh bottle of ICK elixer!

...take the carbon out, dose, temp to 82, wait 48 hours and dose again. after another 48, add carbon, change 25% water and vacuum every other day. repeat if symptoms continue... joy... Sad
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Blue water... Empty Re: Blue water...

Post by Aura Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 am

Hope they get well soon, poor fishies.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmymac Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:13 pm

Dont forget some extra salt!
jimmymac
jimmymac

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:12 pm

They are looking better already. Most of the cysts have fallen off (except for the Crabro, she still has a few, but nowhere near as many).

In the process of treating and searching to get a 'head count' I found 3 more Aurutas that I did not have before cheers It's kinda like finding money in the pocket of pants when you put them on after doing laundry! They are TRUE survivors. at about 1 1/2 inch in length, they are a welcome addition to the neighborhood!

jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Glad your fish are doing better.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks! They are doing much better today. Water change and tank cleaning coming up tomorrow... Just did the other three tanks today, to include a total swap of 2 tanks... Substrate, decorations... everything. I had fish in every pot that I own!

I have a curiosity question for you all out there...

I have some Kenyi, Auratus, and Crabro in a tank. They are getting to be about 3 - 4 inches, but notice that the males all have 1 egg spot, one has 2. In another tank, I have an Acei, Rusty, Red Zebra, Peacock, Cipokae, and an unknown albino (just starting to color), all males, with 3 - egg spots, and they are only about 2 inches max... I thought the spots were related to age or size, but I guess size really doesn't matter? confused
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Talking egg spots, no, size doesn't matter. Very Happy And neither does the sex -- male and female can both have them.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks, Aura. I was hoping the egg spots didnt mean anything significant.

Just did a complete cleaning of the tank. No more blue water! I tell ya, it's hard to get the rocks back the same way they were before cleaning...

I have a hyper-dominant Kenyi. He thinks the whole tank is his now. He has most of the others stuck together on one side of the tank, and is terrorizing the big male Auratus (he should be a little careful because he is getting double and triple teamed). He does tolerate one of the female Auratus though... He keeps fending off the challengers, but they are all 'scarred' now. Im thinking of putting him in a QT for a bit to give the others some relief. What do you all think?
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Turtleman Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:19 pm

I think Kenyi and Auratus are going to be a handful no matter what. What size is the tank?
Super Turtleman
Super Turtleman

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:49 pm

They are in a 40gal right now. I had a 55 cycling, but thought I still needed more room for them (the addition of rocks will take up more of the 'open' space) so I got some styro-foam to do a 'custom' landscape to incorporate more caves and tunnels in the back-drop, kinda like the 'Back to Nature' backdrop. The project is coming along nicely, but it is taking more time than I wanted it to... and I have a bunch of 'hollow ceramic stones' to go in it as well.
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmymac Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Good lick with what you have going,
Kinda like a pit bull and a rotty in the same yard, LOL.

Smoebody will die. Gotta feeling the aratus will win in the end.
Both of those (kenyi, aratus) are nasty little fish. Your combination
of fish will not work long term, especially with females in there.

Good luck though, Ive had that similar combo before ( 5-6 years ago) in a 75.
The Kenyi won in the end, but he was almost 5 inches and my
johani and aratus (all had females) were less than 3 inches.
jimmymac
jimmymac

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:10 pm

It's funny (ironic) to watch. the male Aratus doesn't chase off the female Kenyi, and vice versa. One woulf think it would be the other way around! The Arat us owned the tank for a while, then the Kenyi hit a growth spurt and took it over. Come to find, I have more than one male Kenyi. the other one slipped up and showed his yellow sides to a female and got caught in the act. Now, the dominant Kenyi has taken over about 2/3 of the tank...

I've been lucky so far since I inherited these guys about July/August and haven't lost any to aggression, but I think things are coming to a head. The sub-dominant Kenyi is getting beat up pretty bad, and I can't seem to find a home for him; I might just go and get another 20long for now... I'm going to do the LPS circuit around here to see if I can get him a new home, if not, the tank cycling will comtinue!
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down