Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan.

+3
buntbarsch
Aura
cichlidman
7 posters

Go down

Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan. Empty Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan.

Post by cichlidman Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:43 pm

I am getting rid of the last of my Male Mbuna's.

It is a little emotional for Patty. These were some of our first cichlids when we got back in fish.

We have had them for about 3 years. The male Msobo is a real stunner. Crying or Very sad

I am going to set up the 55 as a Tanganyikan tank.
I am going to probably start with a pair of Calvus or Compressiceps.
I am going to get larger ones as I have had problems keeping smaller ones.

I think Crushed Coral for substrate.

Okay now I am lost. idea

You guys can help me.. I will say PLEEEEESE
I may try a few Featherfins for upper area or maybe Cyps.

Could I put the Transcriptus in the same tank?

Now give me what parameters and everything that would be best for the Tangs from your perspective.

I really would like to do this right.
I will have 2 Aquatech 30/60 filters a Magnum 350 and 2- 80 gal sponge filters.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan. Empty Re: Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan.

Post by Aura Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm just a beginner with the Tangs, so can't give any advice there, but I'm sad to see another mbuna tank go. Sad

A calvus or comp tank that size is going to be nice though!
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan. Empty Re: Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan.

Post by cichlidman Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:57 am

I hope Klaus will help me out here..
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by buntbarsch Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 am

Roger, Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan. Smilie_sy_005

I would love to help you out but my experience with calvus or comps is very limited. They have never interested me much. Same goes for the featherfins. Don't ask me why, I have no idea.
Personally I would not keep the two together except in a much larger tank. A pair of calvus would probably do fine with the addition of a dozen smaller cyps. The cyps are an open water species. They even breed in the open water. Calvus and Julies are cave brooders. Having enough hiding places, I don't see a problem adding the transcriptus to the mix too. I would probably built up rocks (try to find limestone) on both ends of the tank and hope for the comps to take one side and the julies take the other. That will leave enough swim room in the middle for the cyps.
Crushed coral as substrate would probably be fine. I never used it but if your tap water is soft, it will certainly help in addition to the limestone to buffer your water (you know I hate chemicals).
Filtration should be fine for a 55g. With the exception of the sponges. I hate sponge filters in a decorated tank (only my opinion).

Now I wait for the pictures Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan. E8543
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Competition Committee

http://www.buntbarsch.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:31 am

Thanks Klaus,
I will keep it posted as it progresses.
The advise is very helpful.

Patty likes the cyps better anyway.
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Turtleman Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:43 am

buntbarsch wrote:I hate sponge filters in a decorated tank (only my opinion).

Ditto!!!
Super Turtleman
Super Turtleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Got rid of all but 1 of the mbuna's today. I think Vince is taking the Msobo tomorrow.
I will break it down and add some crushed coral. Start the process all over for the Tangs.
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Wooohooo!!! redneck

Already anxious to see it up and running.

Have you nailed down the stocklist yet?
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:46 pm

Rift _Lake _Rule
Here is what I am looking at.

I am thinking 12 Cyprichromis leptosoma Blue Flash
A breeding pair of Compressiceps Gold
And a pair of Julidochromis Transcriptus Zaire Black.
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:41 am

Another one lost to the darkside, lol. Keep us updated on the progress especially the cyps cause I have been thinking of adding some to my 55 with the shellies and comps.
Micheal
Micheal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buntbarsch Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:42 am

Micheal wrote:Another one lost to the darkside, lol.

Wrong Michael, very wrong. Roger is the non believer on his way to enlightenment. Klaus will be happy. I am closing out my Mbuna's Going Tanganyikan. 126D0919797
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Competition Committee

http://www.buntbarsch.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:40 am

I don't discriminate when it comes to fish keeping. Come this time next week I will own fish from all 3 lakes, Central America and the ocean. While Malawi will probably always be my favorite fish I wouldn't be surprised if any fish ended up in one of my tanks.
Micheal
Micheal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by preacherboy Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:12 am

You will love the tangs, Roger!

Can't wait to see the pics, friend!
preacherboy
preacherboy
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Great choices Roger!!!
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum