Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum

3 posters

Go down

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Empty Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum

Post by Aquamojo Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:55 am

I have a couple dozen of these juvenile F1 A. hogaboomorum's in various tanks acting as dither fish. Some of them were getting fairly large (5-10cm). I had a few open tanks and decided to move some of the better looking specimens to start another breeding pair.

Here's one of the smaller females @5cm:

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-555

And a few of the males @10cm. One of the things that I find pretty consistent with this particular species is the beautiful fins. Even when we collected some of the wild fish, I noticed that they had beautiful trailers on the dorsal and anal fins.

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-554

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-552

Here's the adult F0 male...squaring off with the other large male in the tank. You can still see the beautiful fins.

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-551

And the pair. I like the way there is a distinct color difference between male and female. The female in this photo is beginning to prepare for breeding. When that happens, her coloration turns into a much brighter shade of orange.

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-548

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-549

Pre-spawning always begins with the male gently pushing her around the breeding area...a pot near the right side of the tank.

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-550

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-547

She just so happened to be pushed flat into an upper flash, illuminating that orange for the photo.

Aquamojo

Back to top Go down

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Empty Re: Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum

Post by football mom Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Very nice fish! I'll have to research their profile!

football mom

Back to top Go down

Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum Empty Re: Today In The Fishroom~1/03/12 Amphilophus hogaboomorum

Post by Aquamojo Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:26 pm

You probably will find very little on the fish. If I can fill in any of the blanks, glad to do it. What I can tell you is that they are only found in the Rio Cholteca in Honduras, closely related to the A. citrinellum, and are mild mannered compared to most in that species group.

Thanks "mom". Wink

Aquamojo

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:22 am

Very nice! Both male and female looks great.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down