Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum

3 posters

Go down

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Empty Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum

Post by Aquamojo Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:37 am

The wild pair of Amphilophus hogaboomorum breed on a regular basis. There are a total of three of that species in a 180 gallon tank. The breeding pair have claimed the right half of the tank the other male fish remains on the left side...along with a very beat up P. synspilus...his "room mate" :wink:

Whenever they start the breeding process the male will begin with a "dueling match" with the male's squaring off and displaying.

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-539

It almost appears as if the female is looking on to watch the confrontation.

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-541

Despite the active displaying, ALL of the fish manage to keep those beautiful trailers on their fins.

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-545

The male on the left (non-breeder) is about an inch bigger than the breeding male. I can only imagine that energy that would normally go toward growth is diverted to breeding. This seems to be the case for all of the breeding cichlids I have kept. Any time I have multiple fish of the same species, the breeders always remain smaller.

You can see from the picture WHO is actually gaining ground. Note the direction of the pelvic fins. He's swimming backward in retreat. I have a half dozen photos of this scene...each with the same. He would advance, then rapidly retreat.

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-547

Look at those beautiful trailing fins! The other male is just of camera to the left as the male displays.

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-548

Once the male is satisfied that the competition is quiet, he will turn his attention to the female...chasing her around the breeding area, often t-boning her pushing her sideways. The female doesn't seem to avoid this attention.

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-543

The pair always breed in the pot on the far left bottom. Almost always she will play this "peek-a-boo" game with the male...with her head coming out of a much smaller area that the male can't access. You can see that he is interested.

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-546

Eventually they will end up in the breeding pot. This will happens in a few days. Looks like they are taking a break to pose for my camera.

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Hogaboomarun-544

All photos were taken with the D300, and three flash units. One of the units was placed in front of the tank at a slight angle pointing up to fill in the bottom. Some of the photos the fish were just out of the flash area...giving a more dramatic lighting effect.

Aquamojo

Back to top Go down

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Empty Re: Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum

Post by theswede Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 am

Great series of shots! Also interesting to read about breeding behavior.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum Empty Re: Today In The Fishroom~9/26/11 F0 A. hogaboomorum

Post by Aura Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Yes, really great shots. These fish have nice color and I have to say their faces are so cute. I love you
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down