Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New 75 gallon Tang tank

+4
theswede
Aura
football mom
Norm66
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New 75 gallon Tang tank - Page 2 Empty Re: New 75 gallon Tang tank

Post by Norm66 Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:26 pm

RLR- Thanks! But do you mean the painted sides show the depth better? For now I think I'm going to leave it unpainted until it's set up and there's fish in it. I can always do it afterward but it'd be tough to razorblade it all off if I didn't like it.

Tonight I bought all (most actually) the plumbing stuff I need for the spraybar and UGJs. Unfortunately I forgot a 3/4" tee and somehow I forgot I had a closed loop system and needed Tees instead of Elbows to go from the powerheads to the jets. Oops. I don't really expect to find the threaded x plain x plain tee I need so it's going to be a little different than I drew it up.

I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the Rio powerheads already and I haven't even plugged them in yet. They come with enough adapters, inlets, outlets etc. to use in almost any application. That's a sign of good engineering IME. I hope they power my UGJs as expected.

Norm66

http://Maliceband.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Correct, to my eye it has the same effect as a in the wall tank. It really shows the depth of the tank better (front glass to back glass). It all depends on where the tank is set up, say for instance one end of the tank would be in the corner of the room and on the other end of the tank there was going to be something beside the tank partially (or fully) obstructing that end I'd say definitely do it. If it's along the wall but nothing at all obstructing the view of the sides I'd be reluctant to tell you to try it on a brand new 125. The tanks that I had with painted sides were sandwiched between another tank and my computer desk, I didn't expect it to look as cool as it did, that was a just a pleasant surprise.
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Got the spraybar built and painted. I've never used PVC primer before. I made a lot more purple than strictly needed to be purple.... But nothing important really. lol

I'll have more time tomorrow and then saturday afternoon. I'm hoping to have the UGJs ready to go and then go pick up the rocks maybe Sunday. If all goes well I'll have water in it by next weekend. I'm starting to get impatient, but I can't rush the ACA so I may as well do things slowly and correctly.

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:42 am

you're making me want more...

Sweet looking tank, I can't wait to see it stocked!
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Got the UGJs done finally and the tank is filling now to test their flow. So far so good, no leaks and the PVC is staying put for the most part. Unfortunately the tank isn't level. I knew it wouldn't be, but I was hoping it would. Know what I mean?

Raining today so no rock hunting. I can do it this week since the rocks I think I'm going to use are literally on the side of the road on my way home from work.

Happy Sunday!

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Awesome!!! Fingers are crossed that it all works out as planned Wink

Be sure and snap a pic or two to share with us.
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Norm66 wrote:Thanks folks.

Aura, I will probably get one.

You know, in looking at this picture I'm wondering if I should paint the sides of the tank as well. Do any of you paint the sides of tanks? It's not like I'm going to be viewing from the ends because of where it is. Or maybe I will. Thoughts?

Another great benefit with black sides on the tank is that it reduces stress levels in your fish. I have this on my tanks and it did make a big difference.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Here's a quickie video of the jets in operation. I learned my lesson with my 20 gallon UGJ that an open system wasn't as good so I did a closed loop this time. I have to say I'm pretty well pleased with the evenness of the flow out of the jets. Even the ones farthest from the pumps are pushing a good amount of water. I put a tighter crimp in the rear ones hoping that would help force more flow to the front ones and it seems to have helped. I figured I'd have to mess about with it some to get it even, but it worked fine first time. Woohoo!

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:54 pm

theswede wrote:
Another great benefit with black sides on the tank is that it reduces stress levels in your fish. I have this on my tanks and it did make a big difference.

Do you attribute that to them simply not being able to see out or because it blinds them to any activity that may occur on the sides?

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Tonight I tried to get the rocks. First I nearly sank into the ditch (which looked perfectly dry) and nearly lost both my shoes. Then I found the rocks that looked so good from the road were actually a very crumbly shale that just wouldn't have worked in the tank. So now I'm in full rock-hunt mode. I'll be hitting every landscape and nursery in a 50 mile radius looking for just the right ones.

On the upside, my buddy came over again tonight and helped me get the tank fully leveled. It must have settled a bit because what we originally had done we took out completely and started from scratch. Now though the tank is 100% level long ways and so close to it back to front as not to matter. In addition I got the spray bar finished and the FX5 up and running. Now the tank is fully filled and both the UGJs and FX5 are humming merrily along. I tried to get a video of the spray bar in action but I did too good a job camouflaging it (black against black background) and it wouldn't come out at all. And it's quieter than my 20 gallon w/ a Penguin HOB on it. Woohoo!

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:32 pm

Great work!!!

For rocks, the rocks used for rip rap in drainage ditches work great!!! That's what I've got in my tropheus tank Wink
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Haha. Yea I've actually had my eye in a couple places where that stuff us used for erosion control and under some bridges. I don't really want to get arrested though. Lol. I'll have to find somewhere to actually buy it.

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:28 am

It's probably safer to buy it somewhere. I'd be worried about contaminates if they came from areas near the road or at least make sure they are washed really well.

Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Norm66 wrote:
theswede wrote:

Do you attribute that to them simply not being able to see out or because it blinds them to any activity that may occur on the sides?

The biggest problem for me has always been when bright light that causes moving shadows has hit the side of the tank during the many dark months we have over here. That could often make them panic. With black sides on the tank I have never had that problem anymore. This has also given the fish more room to hide. Before they never hid near the sideglass.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

New 75 gallon Tang tank - Page 2 Empty Got my rocks!

Post by Norm66 Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:59 pm

Here's where my rocks came from. Fresh dug out of the earth just a week or so.

New 75 gallon Tang tank - Page 2 IMAGE_1000000034

And here they are waiting For a good cleaning.
New 75 gallon Tang tank - Page 2 IMAGE_1000000031

Things are coming together.

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Rocks clean and ready for tank. The fun part is quickly approaching.
New 75 gallon Tang tank - Page 2 IMAGE_1000000038

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:05 pm

thumbs up

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Here's the first attempt at aquascaping:
New 75 gallon Tang tank - Page 2 IMAGE_1000000043

I decided that since my rocks came from the same place but were segregated between grey and brown rocks I'd keep them segregated in the tank too. They would have looked funny all mix & matched. Kinda wish I'd have gotten one kind or the other, but variety is the spice of life.

And the 2nd after a tweak:
New 75 gallon Tang tank - Page 2 IMAGE_1000000044

Still not happy with the right side.

Also added ammonia and will test tonight to figure out if I added enough. When it's at 3ppm it'll be time to tear into my other tanks to get some seed material. I've got 23 days to get this thing cycled and ready.

Oh and BTW, 3 weeks from today we leave for the ACA in DC! Woohoo! Fish Nirvana here we come!

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:21 am

It looks good Smile , but why not spread the rocks around a little. Piles of rocks like that looks a little man made. Another thing that makes a tank look more naturel is to put some smaller rocks in as well. I think i´ve posted this vid here before but i love the look of this tank and I wish it was mine.

theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:57 pm

I hear what you're saying Swede, but I'm following advice from another forum to separate the rock piles so one fish or one species doesn't claim the entire thing. I do like the tank you posted though. It's beautiful... for a Malawi tank. ;^)

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:07 pm

Rocks in. Sand too. Rest time then shower time and run to a gig. Happy weekend all!

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:13 pm

So, Norm, are you bringing a guitar to ACA? Smile

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:20 pm

BTW, your tank is looking good.
My 55 community Tang tank has a rock pile on each end, with some smaller rocks
kind of sloping from right side toward the middle, and some assorted shells scattered in a couple of places, with some ruffled cryptocoryn plants scattered about. It has
kind of evolved that way, I like the way it is now.
I have 2 small A. compressiceps, 2 small black Calvus, 3 very small N. helianthus, a pair
of gold occies, and a pair (all I have left, need more females) of Paracyprichromis
niggripinnis.
I'll try to get a decent pic of that tank.
Oh, and if you can get some zebra nerite snails, you can forget about algae problems!
They are great, and don't reproduce!

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Oh we might bring an acoustic. Never know. Gotta remember I'm a bass player by trade though. I'd like to see your pics.

I dud get the sand in. I've also added some filter pads and rocks from an established tank to kick start the cycle. I hope it's ready in time. I think I can make it work though.

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Nitrites are showing up! Woohoo! Very Happy

I'm still not convinced, even with all the starter media I've thrown at it, that this tank is going to be 100% cycled by the time I leave for the ACA in two weeks. If it's not by a week from today I'll order some Dr. Tim's I guess. I think I didn't have the heater turned up high enough and I was misreading the thermometer. Rookie, idiot mistakes I know. Sad

but anyway, here's a shot of it with the sand in. This is the first time I've used pool filter sand and am very happy with the look. I only wish I could have found rocks that matched, but it'll look better with a good layer of algae growing on them. I'll hide the UG Jets with shells and small rocks at some point.

New 75 gallon Tang tank - Page 2 7%2525206%25252011%252520002

I'm still up in the air on stocking so though I'm happy with the way the rocks look, I"m not guaranteeing they'll stay this way. If I go with xenos I'll still need a good bit of open sand, but if I go the other way with more rock dwellers I'll need more rocks. Decisions decisions. I probably won't know for sure until I'm on my way home from the ACA.

BTW- two weeks from tonight we'll be tipping a cold one back talking (and looking at) fish. I'm so excited. bounce bounce

Norm66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next