Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking!

+12
cichlidman
Splash
Dook
bulldogg7
Rockfish
Aura
theswede
iceblue
football mom
buntbarsch
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Larry Johnson
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! Empty New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking!

Post by Larry Johnson Mon May 10, 2010 5:10 am

If you guys have been missing me,,,I have NOT been slacking
The speaking circuit has been sporadic with a long drive to CT in February and some other reasonably lengthy trips around southern Ontario.
Work,well I gave up the managers job in Hamilton that was keeping me away from 10 years of fish room updates so now I am working only 2 days a week and working on my fish room expansion!
I recently updated my air system to 1 1/2 inch ABS piping and about 125 valves to which I attached a 1/8 th HP blower,,hope that works as I really do not want to hook up the 1/2 HP for obvious energy savings.
I just ordered my custom tanks today,,,these are regular sized tanks but are "stock tanks" which are built heavier and have no cross braces.
I had left 8 open spaces for the 50's,,,10 years ago and my smaller breeder tanks were occupying this space so they will be moved to the centre row (top shelf) so 8-50's are going in (18X36 footprint)
While the centre row will carry a lot more smaller tanks for fry,the main use for this area is for 8 breeder 40's (18X 36 footprint,,,hope YOU get the drift on the footprint newbies).
On the "short side of this new row I will be putting in some 10 or 12 inch wide tanks to fill the space behind the centre beam support. I can only fit 12 inch wide tanks as this row faces another row of tanks and the spacing would be to tight (ya,,,OH TO HAVE A 32 waistline again!,,,LOL).
Under the new row the plan is at this point to house a reservoir where there will be a water exchange for an "open ended" system (water goes in and water goes out continuously on a drip)
This centre row will house my breeders and fry that will be grown out to larger sizes.
I may or may not install lights over the tanks, but I do have a whole box of Hagen "Ice Caps" that I scooped when my buddy bought out a Pet Shop Close Out Auction. This is where most of the piping and valves came from as well.
Nothing gets you more in gear than going to an auction like this,,,as after we bought everything we went back and pieced it out over 2 weekends and then grabbed other things as we use for our own systems at home!
I got 50 Hagen "Ice Cap" units almost new,,, for $0.00, all the piping with valves installed, a 1/2 horse blower (bearing replacement was $159) 100-1/2 inch ball valves and lots of 1 inch diameter piping with "T's" glued together as a unit.
So pretty much everything I needed.

Things are still not done but I thought I'd post some pics so you get an idea of what the fish room looks like while the racking is almost 1/2 way done!

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! _DSC4053
Pic #1 Ya the chair has got to go,,,it can sit in front of the furnace,that is the only dead spot in the room where I cannot build!
The other 2-40's go between the new rack and the chair,top row is for "baby tanks". The far wall are 75 gallon tanks.

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! Normal__DSC4055

This is the narrower side,I can only fit some 10-12 inch wide tanks here because there is another row on the left out of sight
and the sump has to go in below,the bottom horizontal pictured here was moved up to accomodate the sump.

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4066
Reverse shot, new 40 stands on left and older 50's on the right,,,135's are on the far wall.

In total there are 22 new tanks going in but with the new air system there are 6 tanks that were never filled due to lack of air from the old compressor,,,
so in total I am adding 22 tanks for the centre row.
Additionaly the row of 50's will be completed by adding the last 8 tanks there,making that side total of 26-50 gallon tanks (13 over 13).

So do I have an excuse for not being here ,,,yet

What do you all think?

Larry

Last edited by Larry Johnson on Tue May 11, 2010 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

http://www.malawicichlidimports.ca/

Back to top Go down

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! Empty Re: New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking!

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Mon May 10, 2010 5:28 am

Larry, great to hear from ya!!! Looks like you've been busy. 22 new tanks Shocked

Looks great, keep us posted buddy Wink
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! Empty Re: New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking!

Post by buntbarsch Mon May 10, 2010 10:04 am

Larry my friend, I thought we lost you Sad

Good to see that you are keeping busy and it sure looks good so far. Problem is that I have to go on my knees now to see your fish.... Very Happy

See you in two weeks at the convention.

Give my best to Liz.
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Competition Committee

http://www.buntbarsch.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Mon May 10, 2010 11:11 am

All I can say is "wow!"

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue Mon May 10, 2010 11:20 am

Impressive and looks like a lot of work. I can understand why you haven't had time to surf the net lately and thank you for posting your expansion project here. We can't get enough of this kind of stuff.redneck

How do you control the humidity in there?
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Mon May 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Very impressive fish room LarryNew Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! Icon_biggrin ! How about some tank shots? Would be nice to see some of your fish.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Mon May 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Nice update and it sounds like you did pretty well with that auction!

I thought about you this weekend when I handed Ad Konings my Malawi Cichlids book (that I ordered and had signed by him, with your help!) I wanted him to sign it again in person this time, so he signed right underneath the first one. New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! Icon_biggrin I hope he won't think I'm crazy when I do it again tomorrow. New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! Icon_twisted
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockfish Mon May 10, 2010 7:16 pm

1,300 gallons in the 2 rows of 50's alone Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Thank you for sharing !
Rockfish
Rockfish

Back to top Go down

Post by bulldogg7 Mon May 10, 2010 7:34 pm

WOW! Who cleans all the tanks during your "vacations"? Looks awesome, must be easy to spend all day just watching fish.
bulldogg7
bulldogg7
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dook Mon May 10, 2010 9:06 pm

good lord... and I get the run around for having about 500 gallons of water...
Dook
Dook

Back to top Go down

Post by Splash Tue May 11, 2010 1:23 am

Looking good
Splash
Splash

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson Tue May 11, 2010 3:02 am

Thanks for the kind words gang Very Happy
Problem is that I have to go on my knees now to see your fish....

You're never to old to get down Very Happy Yes 22 tanks for the new row and the last 8 - 50's for the wall,,, that side has been a thorn in my side for a long time!
I will be at the CAOAC Convention for sure, George Kardos is sharing the other room in the suite.
How do you control the humidity in there?
I never really had a problem until last year when it seemed to be raining every day,,,I finally had to turn on the dehumidifier. I am looking for a new one now,,,the old one is to noisy and I bet its not doing a great job,,,need newer and more energy efficient, one that will fit into the room itself.
I hope he won't think I'm crazy when I do it again tomorrow.
I think Ad knows we Cichlididiots are a rare species,,,I'm sure he won't mind!
WOW! Who cleans all the tanks during your "vacations"?
During the few months before I leave I usually sell the fish down and just leave filters running,,,this year is going to be different because I have been growing my breeder stock so there will be more to look after,,,but this new addition will be easier to look after.Just a qwik siphon of the feces on the bottom,,that's it. The water will be running in at a constant drip to avoid NO3 buildup.
The wife looks after things,although my son worked for me for 7 years at Big Als,,,and he's around once in a while to help out,,,and if problems arise. They did great while I was away in Malawi for 2 months last year Very Happy

Here's a few updates.

I got the stryofoam in and its getting harder to find,,I was told it's not eco-friendly anymore and its being done away with,,,the replacement stuff is twice as expensive for 1/2 the amount!

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4077

The ballasts are used ones that I took out of a Pet Shop that me and my buddies cleared out. They are "Ice Cap" types the end caps fit over any size bulb and fit this unit really nice. One switch at the fish room entrance turns on this section. The power switch turns on the power to the duplex receptlcles.

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4075

A shot of what you see when you enter the room,,,,lots of junk now as things were going fast at that point, no need to "put things away" yet!

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4082

This shot shows the 50's on the other side of the room,,, the shelf above them with the smaller tanks is being moved to the centre row,,,this area had always been designated for 50's.

New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4072

You can see the centre row drain pipe sticking out, above the tool box. The green silicone air lines had been pre-cut to hook up to the new airsystem,,,when I had nothing to do,,so they are hung up waiting to be put in.The new compressor is still not running yet, not until I need this row running.

So you are up to date with the pictures I have but there has been more done! So more pics soon!

Cheers,Larry

Last edited by Larry Johnson on Tue May 11, 2010 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Tue May 11, 2010 4:19 am

Larry,

You had told me when we talked by PM. This is pretty impressive.

Not to bad as, I tell people when we say this is a labor of love.
I wish to someday have a large fishroom. I have tanks all over my house.

Great job.
Your friend
Roger
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson Tue May 11, 2010 12:35 pm

I just could not have tanks all over the house! Believe me its much easier to clean when the tanks are organized.
I have well water...and a well pump,,,electric water heater,,,so I do some water changes every night/day on one section.
Now this may sound like a lot, but when the tanks are filling there are other things to do like ,,,feed fish,,,strip females,,,or just sit and watch. On the big days (50's) I sometimes take my laptop downstairs and post/reply on the forums. So its not wasted time Very Happy
The new centre unit, I am hoping will be less work as it will be on a constant drip to keep the nitrates down,,,just a qwik siphon of feces off the bottom. The "drip" would be easier on the well pump which will proably come on a few times a day,but otherwise would be working steady while doing water changes like the other tanks. I will probably go thru more Nitrate test kits than I had previously.

Cheers,Larry
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Tue May 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Amazing setup Larry, you're goin all out and it will be well worth it!!! Will be lookin forward to the progression of the fish room Wink
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nitroloser Tue May 11, 2010 11:01 pm

way cool set up i bet you have some awesome fish in there
nitroloser
nitroloser

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson Wed May 12, 2010 12:44 am

Amazing setup Larry, you're goin all out and it will be well worth it!!! Will be lookin forward to the progression of the fish room
Yes I think I did a good job,,,so far no "glictches",,,heading off on Friday to pick up my sump,,,had to get that custom made as I needed it to fit under that "skinny side",,,48X16X15H,,,plus one hole needs to get done!

More pictures to come,,,I just have to take them now,,,the room is beyound what I have posted here.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

What the heck button did I hit for the blue background! LOL I liked the brown better! (OK some one fixed it,,,the post os all blue now!)

Cheers,Larry

Last edited by Larry Johnson on Sat May 15, 2010 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Carman Thu May 13, 2010 10:37 pm

What are your water parameters? or how do you plan to buffer water? I am planning a drip system, but my water needs a little buffering. What would you suggest I do that isn't really expensive?

Yours looks like it is going to turn out great!

Jon
Jon Carman
Jon Carman

http://www.musiccitycichlids.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Fri May 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Great looking fish room. Can't wait to see pictures of what all you have in the tanks.
Micheal
Micheal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Sat May 15, 2010 2:07 am

Jon,

Try sending Larry a PM if you don't hear back from him.

He is good to help you.
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson Sat May 15, 2010 2:26 am

Water parimteres here are Ph 7.8 and the conductivity is 970 microsiemens!
No buffering here Very Happy
If you are looking to buffer,,,use some crushed coral and bag it in those nice large nylon bags that you can get from the LFS, they are cheap!

Picked up my sump tank today,,,pictures tomorrow,,,errr,,,later today! ( its to late tonight)

Cheers,Larry
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by vman Sun May 16, 2010 2:31 am

Great set up Larry !
vman
vman

Back to top Go down

Post by Splash Sun May 16, 2010 2:43 am

Wow so much work.
Splash
Splash

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Carman Sun May 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks Larry, I will try that before I go to more drastic measures.
Jon Carman
Jon Carman

http://www.musiccitycichlids.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson Mon May 17, 2010 1:51 am

Hi Gang,here are some updated pictures,,,the water is in but the pump will be coming next week!

This is what you see when entering the room, these tanks on the centre row are on your right. I have built around the centre
support post for the basement and you can see the other side has smaller 10 gallon tanks and on the top shelf there are 8-5 gallon tanks.
New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4188

A bit better shot here of the "skinny side" of the tanks there. The large space below them is for my sump which is still "curing" as it was
made on Thursday. There were other things to do so it will sit for a few more days before being installed.
New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4189

This is the other side of the centre row. The white piping was cut up tonight to be installed for the "water returns", this was taken from
a Pet Shop I helped clear out a couple months ago. The top shelf above the 40's is for small fry tanks.
New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4207

Lots of space for small tanks up top and the 5 gallon tanks will be "on-line" with the 40's. The water will be heated in the sump, so even the small tanks on line will get temperature correct water.The upper drain is 3 inch,,,a bit over done but the 3 inch fit perfect between the two sides.
This top shelf is a bit wider than 18 inches and is 9 feet long.
New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4203

Here's an end veiw of the plumbing, its actually simple when you have to think about it! The water leaves via the bulkhead and elbows down 90o into a 1 1/2 inch hose, this hose fits into a 4 inch drain pipe that has a hole cut in it for the hose. The water then runs to the sump.
In the sump, the pump will return the water to the tanks,via 1 inch water lines that are run off a "T" fitting, reduced down to 1/2 inch before running into the tanks.Each line to each tank has a 1/2 ball valve to control the water flow.
This end (pictured) will be covered with plywood stained the same color, the end will also have a "pop out" table that is hindged about 33 inches from the floor,,,so it can be used for packing fish or using my laptop while doing water changes!
New Fish Room Addtions, MIA? No, I haven't been slacking! DSC_4206

Well its almost done now,the returns are almost done,so the rest is fairly easy and will not take much time.
The extra triming can be done later after the 50's get installed,but I'm waiting on the bulkheads for those tanks,so who knows when everything will finally be done!
After that, the floor has to be painted again,,,then I can rest for a few days,,,the honey dew list is getting longer by the day!

Cheers,Larry
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next