Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie Regani Fry

4 posters

Go down

Julie Regani Fry Empty Julie Regani Fry

Post by Timbothediver Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:32 am

I noticed last night my Regani had spawned. The tank is heavily rocked and I only noticed last night that there where fry. I could only see 2 fry, but I would expect ther to be more.

The Regani are in the tank with 2 Adult Calvus, also going through the rituals of mating, and 10 Leptosoma. 3 female Leptosoma are carrying.

Will the Regani fry be safe to leave in the tank? Will they get enough to eat? If I take them out I will have to remove all the rocks and risk beakin up the pairing. Any adviceplease would be welcome.

Thankyou, Tim

Timbothediver

Back to top Go down

Julie Regani Fry Empty Re: Julie Regani Fry

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:31 am

Hi Timbo, congrats on the spawning!!! The calvus are expert fry hunters so if you want to keep the fry it'd be best to try to get them out. You can try submerging a small clear plastic bottle in the tank, possibly a 20 oz coke bottle or something similiar with a piece of monofilament fishing line tied to the neck of the bottle. Place it in the vicinity of where you see the fry, if they swim in then you can retrieve it. If you have baby brine shrimp, daphnia, etc. You could put that in the bottle before submerging it to try to attract them.

One question... WHERE'S THE PICTURES!!! Sad

Good luck and keep us posted Very Happy
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:05 pm

I have gotten lucky a few times and lured the fry out far enough with some food to be able to net them. I always end up with a few that I couldn't catch that way though. Maybe combined with the trap you can get most of them without taking out the rocks. Then it will be your decision to decide if a few fry are worth the risk of disturbing the bond of the other fish.
Good luck and keep us updated on how you do with getting them out.
Micheal
Micheal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbothediver Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Oh well, you were right when you said that Calvus are good fry hunters. Came to my tank this evening and the male Calvus was among the rock pile wher the Regani brood were. He never ever goes in that part of the tank.
Anyway, there are no fry to be seen now, maybe a couple have survived amongst the rocks, time will tell.
Its possibly my fault, I left the tank lights on all evening, I thought at the time that was the wrong move.
If they spawn again in 4 weeks or so, then Mr Calvus is coming out!! We live an learn.

Timbothediver

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Darn that calvus! That's too bad. Hope it works out the next time.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:16 pm

Sorry to hear that, hopefully the fry spotted the calvus lurking around outside the rocks and are hiding. Keep a good eye out for em and if you see em figure out a way to trap em. Wink
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbothediver Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Here is an update for you on the fry situation.

There are 2 quite large fry left, they are about 3/4", But there are also a handful of smaller fry about 1/4" and today as I was searching the rocks using a magnifying glass I saw quite a number of minute fry. So it appears there are 3 different spawnings in the same rock pile. I was surprised at this as I didnt think Regani tolerated earlier spawnings when they spawned again.

The parents are a lot more effective at keeping snoopers away now.

Thanks for your help and advice

Timbothediver

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Congrats Timbo!!! Glad to hear they're doing well Wink

Anytime you need help, we'll be here... in the meantime post some pic's for us Smile
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Congrats on having a few make it and more as well. keep us updated on how things go with the mixture of size fry.
Micheal
Micheal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down