Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bristlenose fry in a jar!

3 posters

Go down

Bristlenose fry in a jar! Empty Bristlenose fry in a jar!

Post by football mom Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:18 am

well, I may be re-thinking selling the big pair of BN's at the auction. This is the second time I have had them produce albino (or leukocsitic) fry.
The pile of eggs in the net in the jar are now tiny fry, and about a quarter of them are a pale beige.
But...help, Betty!
What do I feed the little buggers? Any fry I've had earlier were in the main tank, and I never captured them until they were much larger. I'm assuming the
male fish still has them in the "nest" at this size usually.
Should I keep them in the big jar they are in, or put them in a 5 gallon tank I have sitting empty and put in an extablished filter?
Can I pre-cook a bit of zucchini and put in there with them? Should I put in a rock that has green algae growing on it?
Advice will be appreciated!
J

football mom

Back to top Go down

Bristlenose fry in a jar! Empty Re: Bristlenose fry in a jar!

Post by Aura Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:52 am

Congrats, J!
I think I kept mine in the small net for about a week and then moved them into a breeder net for a while, but I didn't have an empty tank available at the time. A five gallon should be fine for them while they are small.

I was only able to get mine to eat canned french-style green beans (unsalted) in the beginning. (Very small amount at first.) But if you put them in a tank, you can try zucchini and algae and see what they prefer.

Here's a link to my first batch of eggs. http://www.riftlakecichlids.com/t441-bristlenose-eggs. Page 2 shows the tiny little things on a small chunk of green bean. I also see in the video that I had started giving them a thin piece of carrot to graze on. Vman suggested feeding them decapsulated brine shrimp as well. I gave them some frozen baby brine shrimp, but I'm not sure how much of it they ate.

Good luck with them.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:48 am

As luck would have it, I have some decapsulated brine shrimp eggs I bought at the convention. I have been givng it to the latest batch of forest jewel fry, hoping to keep them alive longer than a week, which has been the probolem with the last two spawns.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 am

How are they doing? Eating yet?
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:02 pm

They seem to be eating, and I accidentally captured another BN spawn from the 33long tank.
I was doing a good substrate vacuuming, and picked up a ceramic cone and it was full of little fry, a bit bigger than the ones I had already, so they are all in a 5 gallon with a sponge filter, and seem to be doing ok. Gave them green bean, zuke, and dbse.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Oh, and I don't want to jinx it, but I still have jewel fry. I've been doing little water changes
every other day (on the BNs,too) on their tank. I'd like to raise these guys. They are a solid
red, with the "jewels" and only one spot on the body behind the gills.
I'm starting to have an interest in the SA and CA cichlids, and while the jewels are African,
their spawning and fry raising behavior is similar.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm66 Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Sounds cool J. Smile

Norm66

http://Maliceband.com

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:46 pm

I still have jewel fry, keeping my fingers crossed!

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum