Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bristle worm

2 posters

Go down

Bristle worm Empty Bristle worm

Post by football mom Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Help, Chris!
Last night my son spotted the end of a greyish-white bristle worm poking out from under a rock in my salt tank. I had just dropped in some
fish food, and we were watching the peppermint shrimp come out to feed, when he saw it. It appeared to be after the flying bits of grub, just like the shrimp.
I had no idea this critter was in there, is it a bad bristle worm or a good one? Should I try to get rid of it?
J

football mom

Back to top Go down

Bristle worm Empty Re: Bristle worm

Post by addicted2cichlid Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:47 am

did it look like this?

as long as there isn't a huge population of them they are fine. yes they can sting fish, and coral, but are generally harmless as long as there isn't a lot of them or big ones...

every reef tank has them, almost a guaranteed hitchhiker on live rock. In low numbers and small sizes they are actually beneficial because they help stir the sand. If i see one out in the open i will snag him with some forceps and dangle him in front of my worm-murdering coral banded shrimp.

i don't like to see any over 2" in my tank. The only main issue i've seen a couple times with smaller ones were a few of them on the bottom of Wellsopylia's...

i dip any coral i see them on just as a precaution. i use and highly recommend CORAL RX coral dip. Its like pine-sol for corals.
addicted2cichlid
addicted2cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:40 am

Your picture did not come through

I haven't seen it since, and I have no idea how big it was, since all we could see was
one end of it poking out, but.... I noticed that one of my larger mushroom corals
is missing! Can't find the critter anywhere.... or even pieces of it...
The zoas all seem ok, and the other mushrooms look fine...
thanks for the advice...

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down