Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To strip or not to strip? My new little Cyno

4 posters

Go down

To strip or not to strip?  My new little Cyno Empty To strip or not to strip? My new little Cyno

Post by football mom Sun May 02, 2010 4:06 pm

I am debating whether to strip my new Cyno female that is holding, I need to make up my mind soon, or she will spit.

Should Iet her hold and spit on her own, since this is her first time to hold? What if I don't strip and they never spawn again? What if I strip her and she never holds to term again?
Should I make a "fry pile" in one corner and see what happens? What a delimma!
Any advice?

football mom

Back to top Go down

To strip or not to strip?  My new little Cyno Empty Re: To strip or not to strip? My new little Cyno

Post by buntbarsch Sun May 02, 2010 7:40 pm

I hate stripping with a passion. I my mind there is only one time where stripping is excusable and that is if the mothers live is in danger.

In your case there is no reason to strip, especially if it is this females first spawn. If you absolutely want to keep the fry, separate her into a small maternity tank and let her do her thing naturally. There is no reason to believe that she won't spawn again. However, the immense stress she will be under might make her sick. Remember, bloat is a stress related illness.

Good luck and don't panic Smile
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Competition Committee

http://www.buntbarsch.ca

Back to top Go down

To strip or not to strip?  My new little Cyno Empty Re: To strip or not to strip? My new little Cyno

Post by iceblue Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 pm

I agree with Klaus. Separate her and give her a place to spit where she won't be stressed. If you don't wish to save the fry let her spit in the main tank unless she is getting beat up or chased a lot.
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by nitroloser Sun May 02, 2010 10:27 pm

i hate seeing them go through the stress of even a holding tank u can strip them usually in seconds and they can go back to eaten in their normal envirement,i know many dif opinions on this but IF you worried about the fish stressing and getting sick simply strip her and within MINUTES all is well,again just my oppinion,i just hate seeing them stressed for any length of time or picked on
nitroloser
nitroloser

Back to top Go down

Post by nitroloser Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 pm

btw most the time peolple do transfer the mom its to a much smaller tank and if thats the case yes too much stress for her getting accutsomed to a new smaller envirement, i for exammpl have a 125,2-80s a 55 and a 10 gal fry tank and i think if you gonna transfer the mom id have to put her in the 10 and i just dont thnik that right either ,,hope that all makes sence, and good luck
nitroloser
nitroloser

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Mon May 03, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks everone.
If I let her spit in the main tank, the fry aren't going to last long, I'm sure.
I have gotten pretty good at stripping, actually.
As Nitro say, it takes only a couple of minutes, or less, and mama's back in the main tank.
I will think about it a little longer, I guess.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum