Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confirmation needed please...

4 posters

Go down

Confirmation needed please... Empty Confirmation needed please...

Post by Dook Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Recently got some tiger oscars from a local store. Place doesn't have the best reputation, and sure enough, oscars had ich when I got them. Good thing I always use a quaruantine tank right? So treated them for Ich, all was well and good. The past couple days the bigger of the two has gotten pale in color, sits on the bottom of the tank and his eyes have clouded up. The smaller of the two and both of the Pleco in the tank have no signs of illness at all. I did another 50% water change and started treatment with Melafix for fungus/bacteria this morning.

Consensus this is the proper course of action to take?
Dook
Dook

Back to top Go down

Confirmation needed please... Empty Re: Confirmation needed please...

Post by addicted2cichlid Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:58 pm

hello...

what are water parameters at?

what size is the tank they are in and what size QT tank?

is the quarantine tank cycled?

melafix is antibacterial, pimafix is antifungal.
addicted2cichlid
addicted2cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dook Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:28 am

tank is cycled, has an established AC70 on it. 29 gallon tank. Water parameters are normal. Back of the Melafix container said it treated cloud eye, so that is the reason I went with it.
Dook
Dook

Back to top Go down

Post by ads Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:19 pm

I would also add some salt to the tank a 29 gallon tank is very small for two oscars i would suggest moving them to a much larger tank
ads
ads

Back to top Go down

Post by addicted2cichlid Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:45 pm

what are the parameters of the system they are in? nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, temp, ph...?

what size are the oscars?

what size is the the main display tank?

the reason i specified the melafix/pimafix was because u had said u got mela for bateria and fungus, just wanted to clarify.
addicted2cichlid
addicted2cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dook Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:57 am

relax everyone... I know the size requirements for tanks for oscars. First, they are Juveniles, no bigger than 3 inches each, and second, they are in my quaruantine tank. They are going into a 90 gallon.

According to the melafix label, it is mainly bacterial, but also targets some fungi as wel.
Dook
Dook

Back to top Go down

Post by addicted2cichlid Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:11 pm

well i tried to help you, i dont understand why u cant answer questions... a 90 gal is not an adequate aquarium size for 2 adult oscars so i hope u plan on upgrading eventually, if they stay healthy and are fed a solid diet u should get around an inch of growth out of them every month.

good luck.
addicted2cichlid
addicted2cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dook Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:05 am

temp is 79.7 F
pH is 7.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 30 ppm

as of this morning...

relax there partner, I didn't have a quality test, I ran out recently and yesterday was my first day off to get to the store to get one.
Dook
Dook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dook Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 am

as far as the tank goes, if the 90 doesn't end up being large enough, I'm not opposed to going larger. I doubt I will need to however. These oscars probably aren't a good bloodline coming from the fish store I got them from, so I doubt they'll reach their max size. If they do, then they'll get a bigger home. They have already grown an inch each in the 2.5 weeks I've had them, and that was them not being very good eaters, which they now are. They attack the bloodworms like they owe em money now.
Dook
Dook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dook Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:33 pm

PS... I am HOPING that I got 2 females. If they start to not get along, I'll pick one and go with it and trade the other in for credit.
Dook
Dook

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Dook,
You will need a minimum 125 for 2 full grown Oscars. Charlie is a grown Oscar at about 16 1/2 to 17 inches.
Oscars being monomorphic males and females get about the same size.
They may not live together wether or not same sex or not.
Oscars pick their own mate they don't let you do it. At around 6 to 7 inches you will probably have to separate them. They may become territorial
and not get along. Oscars are not overly aggressive fish but are territorial fish .
Oscars are very messy fish and do require lots of maintenance. Weekly water changes are manditory. Charlie has a 90 gal. tank and gets his changed ever 5 to 7 days. At 40 to 50 %. They are messy eaters and create a lot of waste.
In the long run the personality and joy of owning a Oscar makes them worth the effort. Charlie is like a member of the family, plays ball with my wife. He will kisses her through the glass and plays with her while she cleans his tank. She can actually pick him up.

This comes from experience and the fun of raising a wonderful Oscar.
Look through the south american pics and you will find pics of him.
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Dook Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:20 am

well I guess I'll grow em out until they start to squabble and then I'll keep the one with the best personality for myself and send the other down the road. Can I house anything else with a full grown oscar in the 90? If not, they may not be the fish for me. I love personality as much as the next guy, but 90 gallons of water for one fish isn't my idea of fun.
Dook
Dook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum