Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New set up

4 posters

Go down

New set up Empty New set up

Post by football mom Mon May 28, 2012 10:16 am

After 10+ years being set up in my living room, the 90 gallon "show tank" is emptied and clean. We had to move it to tile the floor. Mbuna are loving their summer home in the horse trough.
So... I'm thinking of doing something different with the tank besides a rock reef. I have some super pieces of big driftwood to use, and I've had fair to good success with plants...so I'm wondering if I dare to try a heavy planted New World tank?
I plan on replacing the basic light with a HO T-5 4 bulb low profile strip, and met someone yesterday that has an unused CO2 set up that we can "make a deal" on. (and can help me set it up, too)
I'd love to put my big pair of Honduran Red Points in it, but they hide all the time, you'd never see them, so the stock list is an empty folder so far. Any suggestions?
J

football mom

Back to top Go down

New set up Empty Re: New set up

Post by poolmako Mon May 28, 2012 11:23 am

if i was going to do a planted sa tank i think i would do discus they wont dig up the plants and there are a number of cool dither fish you put in with the discus, another idea you might think about is going with west African cichlids some of them need softer water and your driftwood would help soften the water for your plants also, i have been trying my hand with plants for about the last year or so with some fairly good luck and im not using co2 but i do have some very bright lighting and i buy small groups of different types of plant to see if i can get them to grow and if if they grow i buy more and the ones that dont do so well i scratch them off my list, also i haven't done anything to change my tap water for the plants or the fish and my tap is about 7.5 ph and i find most plants will deal with this, hope this helps.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Mon May 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Discus sounds like a good idea. They would be really nice for a show tank.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Tue May 29, 2012 11:14 am

Our tap water here is very hard with a high pH. I don't know if discus would thrive, I would have to "doctor" the water a lot. I use bags of peat pellets and bogwood in 2 of the planted tanks that I have tetras, and rams, but I really haven't
tested the water to see if that has affected the hardness of the water. As far as I know the rams haven't spawned, but the pH is still higher than they like, so maybe that's why.
Anyway, I'm all excited about having a new project to work on!

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by yodahorn Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:04 am

How's your 90 gal project coming along?

yodahorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: