Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I don't know what to think any more...

+5
Aura
ovyaker75
jimmymac
bulldogg7
jmcfive
9 posters

Go down

I don't know what to think any more... Empty I don't know what to think any more...

Post by jmcfive Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Here is a pic of what I thought was a female Auratas. About a week ago, she/he began to transition color. Now it seems to be holding eggs... Either that, or 'he' has a rock stuck in his mouth, which I doubt because he/she has her/his mouth clamped shut!

I'm at a loss for what to think. Just when I thought I had these guys figured out...

I don't know what to think any more... Holdingfemale

Last edited by jmcfive on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

I don't know what to think any more... Empty Re: I don't know what to think any more...

Post by bulldogg7 Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:34 pm

I've had one that killed my male then took on male colors and tormented another female till it died. Ended up venting her and sure enough it was a female. I've got some pics of her floating around somewhere on here I think.

found an old one
I don't know what to think any more... DSCF1009-2
bulldogg7
bulldogg7
Admin

Back to top Go down

I don't know what to think any more... Empty Re: I don't know what to think any more...

Post by jmcfive Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Wow... Is this common?

at least she won't do any damage while her mouth is full...
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by bulldogg7 Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 pm

I think Betty (Aura) had one that turned male colors too, not sure how common, usually it's subdominant males that take on female colors to blend in, but auratus seem to be in a world all their own sometimes.
bulldogg7
bulldogg7
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:54 pm

I'll say... I just traded 3 males to the LFS today. The remaining male went crazy attacking everything in the tank (except the holding female)! almost all of the fish in there are missing fin portions now... I'm not too happy about that.

He's in the QT thinking about his actions. Possibly plotting his revenge once I put him back in in 3 weeks! I had to get him out before he did some real damage. Now tht he is gone, everyone is getting along superbly Very Happy
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmymac Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 am

I told you a while back that your mix wont work.
Aratus are (IMO) the nastiest mbuna there is.
Plus they are an ugly fish, LOL.
Get rid of all of em fast, and enjoy your kenyi while you have them.
Kenyi are nasty too, but I had a big male years ago that did
pretty well with a comunity of mbuna.
but NO females.

Good luck, Johani are just as bad, but not ugly brown, LOL.
jimmymac
jimmymac

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Yeah, yeah... Everyone told me, but I guess my determination turned to frustration Very Happy I have now gotten rid of the male in the QT, as well as the big male Kenyi that thought the entire tank was his. He had the rest of the fish piled up in one corner...

There were 2 males in there and the other one is pretty mellow (he is fairly small compared to the others in the tank, and much smaller than the Crabro that are in there). So far, everyone in there seems much more relaxed and their colors have gotten brighter since I removed the bullies! (I should have been less stubborn Sad )

I found a new LPS to do business with. They sell nothing but fish and fish supplies. Their fish look a LOT better than what I have seen in stores around town, and they have a much larger variety. I spoke with the owner today, and he won't sell any of his fish unless you bring him a water sample for him to test first... With him being that picky, I have no reason to doubt that he has the best fish in town! As soon as you walk in, he has a 250gal display, all males, that looks amazing! I asked if I could take a pic, but he said, "If you want to see my tank, you have to come here to see it." I can respect that...

Jimmymac, you are right. Auratas males do have 'less desireable' coloring when they mature. I think I will keep the females for a while yet, at least until the holding one spits (she's going into a QT if I can catch her). This way, I get lots of store credit! But, yes, they all have to go. My 3 QTs are always occupied, all the result of Auratas Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by jmcfive on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by ovyaker75 Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:25 pm

I had an auratus that turned that same exact color, so I thought it was a male... then it did the same thing, acted like she had a mouthful of eggs, I separated her from the rest of the pack put her in my extra 29.... nothing!! put her back in the main tank, 3 weeks went by she died for no apparent reason Question til this day it still bothers me!

Ray

ovyaker75

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Come to think, 'she' has been acting wierd... Perhaps they really are psychotic...
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:04 pm

They are nasty and I wouldn't recommend them, but I've always loved my auratus even when they were killing each other. I think they are a pretty fish and like their colors. I've even bought adult males that were turned in to the lfs because of their aggression because I felt sorry for them.

I don't know what to think any more... Mauratus2p-1

I don't know what to think any more... Femaleaura2p-1

I've never had a problem with a lone male per tank, but to keep more together, you need at least a dozen and even that isn't a guarantee. I once had a male kill the female he had just spawned with and tore her throat out to get to the eggs. Evil or Very Mad
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:53 pm

The female auratus are pretty fish, IMO, but keeping them is just too difficult, and I don't find the males attractive at all.

As far as not knowing what to think, I would havea bet good money that I had 1 male/
4 female L. Kipuma, but the male has gone to fish-heaven and one of the "females"
has started to color up and act aggressive. A couple of their barely one inch juvies
have colored also, and are doing the "spawn dance" also.
They are all going to the auction, BTW, but now I don't know how to label thea bag with the "suspect" female!

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 pm

There is someone out there that likes Auratas. The store that I traded my fish to, sold all of them to the same person... At least they found a home, and I hope they are happy there.

I just got frustrated netting out injured fish... I have 6 tanks total (3 used as QTs) and the QTs were in constant use... Not quite what I expected...
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:53 pm

I've had a female auratus try to take on male coloring when she was holding. It might be a defensive reaction to keep the amorous males from noticing her. It could also help with camouflage if she was hiding in a cave.
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by ovyaker75 Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:25 am

my auratus was really bad at first, till the other fish in the tank started fighting back, then she really simmered down.... then she changed colors then died!!! Shocked

ovyaker75

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 pm

Stress kills. hulk
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by gmoney243 Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:17 am

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_chipokee.php

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_auratus.php

both look alike but are different looks like some of those pics u think are auratus look like chipoke. but im pretty new in the hobby :-)

gmoney243

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:21 pm

You're correct, that they look familiar, but the tail is the key. The Chipokae have black on the lower protion of the tail, but the Auratas doesn't. Compare the pics side by side, and you will see the differences.
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by rkraposa Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:36 pm

I have a kenyi that I thought for sure it was going to be a girl because it was showing no signs of yellow...then one day...BOOM...it's all yellow! Very pretty, though. I also have a red empress that I've had for about 5 weeks or so....and it still showing it's grey color with the straight black stripe. I keep on hoping it will get some red....but I think it's not going to happen. I think the auratus has interesting colors, but I have a Johanni and I'm told the mixing them is a no-no.
rkraposa
rkraposa

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

I have been told that also. I guess it has to do with similar markings...
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum