Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider

4 posters

Go down

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Empty Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:05 pm

The Hamburg Mattenfilter is basically a sponge wall inside the tank with either lift tubes or a powerhead to displace the water. In a typical Mattenfilter set up, the sponge wall is placed at the end of the tank leaving just enough room for the lift tubes to fit in between the tank end wall and the sponge. As the lift tubes pump water over the sponge wall, the water in the tank is forced thru the sponge where the lift tubes then pump it back over the wall again. I wanted to try something a little different. I wanted to create a tank that had both a breeding chamber and a fry chamber for my Altolamprologus species. Here's how I set up my 40g Long tanks with a 3ft breeding chamber and a 10in fry chamber.

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Filterillustration

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider FireFintank

I used Poret Foam material for this project. I bought a whole sheet, enough to do approximately six of these filters.

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Foamsheet

Since I wanted to have my breeding chamber set up with sand and the fry chamber bare bottom I decided to try a piece of plastic corner guard siliconed to the bottom of the tank to form a track for the foam to sit in. It not only holds the foam in place but also effectively sealed the sand out of the breeding chamber.

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Filtertrackinstalled

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Filtertrack

I decided to go with air powered lift tubes. I made the lift tubes out of 1/2 sch40 pvc with a pvc 90 (elbow) at the top and a pvc to cpvc adapter at the bottom. I drilled a hole in the adapter just large enough for the airline to fit in and painted them black with krylon fusion spray paint.

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Lifttubespainted

I used 3 lift tubes, 2 of the tubes are pumping water out of the fry chamber, over the foam wall into the breeding chamber. These 2 lift tubes have the air turned up to create max flow. The other lift tube is actually pumping water into the fry chamber, I keep the air down on this lift tube as I only wanted enough flow to create a slight current pattern in the fry chamber. To install them I just cut a slit in the foam material near the top and slid the top of the lift tube thru the foam which holds it in place.

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Filterlifttubesinstalled

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Filter1

I then made prefilters for the base of the lift tubes out of scrap foam material. These not only act as filters but they prevent the fry from getting sucked into the breeding chamber.

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Prefilter

I'm really happy with the way these filter/dividers have turned out. I plan on setting up more tanks this way in the future. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Wink
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider Empty Re: Hamburg Mattenfilter / Divider

Post by Big Dog Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:29 am

Great info.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:45 pm

How is it working out now that it's been running for a while?
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:52 pm

They're awesome!!! I still haven't cleaned them either cheers I don't use airstones but the end of the airhoses have gunked up on me, pulled the line to the surface and snipped them with scissors. That's the only maintenance I have done aside from cleaning the prefilters on the lift tubes which aren't necessary in normal applications. I've got em in 10's too. No better way to filter small tanks. The 10's are on a rack with the ends facing out so the sponge looks like a black background. Have you ever tried netting fry in a 10 with a round hydro sponge or a square sponge in the tank? It's impossible without removing the sponge, not a major deal but inconvenient to say the least. This setup makes it easy, slip the net in front of the sponge wall, herd the fry to the front and lift em out. Everything considered, these are the ONLY way to filter those small growout tanks. No maintenance (ok, very little and not often), enough surface area to handle all the fry you can pack in a growout, and doesn't get in the way Wink

Discus Hans has donated several sheets of foam to the cca meetings for the auction, never a lack of bidders for it Laughing
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drake-tripod Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:01 pm

thats good to hear bra
Drake-tripod
Drake-tripod
BOB SAGET!!!

Back to top Go down