Finally Started my stocklist

Go down

Finally Started my stocklist Empty Finally Started my stocklist

Post by Jason Dolting on Sat May 22, 2010 9:19 pm

After setting up my tank a few months ago I have changed the decor. The substrate is now sand and I have changed the rocks. But best of all have started adding fish. Until yesterday I have had some trouble finding a good lfs but that has now changed. Found a very helpfull dealer who is also a Riftlake Hobbyist and only an hours drive away. He said to name the fish I am looking for and he will try to track it down for me. I am leaning towards Eye biters but can anyone make suggestions based on what I already stock?
I have had these fish for about 2 months:
Polystigma X 1
Blue Moori X 1
Astatotilapia Latifascia X 2
Peacock X 2 ( name unknown )
Yesterday I added :
Venustus X 2
Xxstyichromis Phytophugus X 1
Labidichromis Mbamba X 2

The Xxstyichromis Phystophugus copped a hard time when I added him so I rearranged some rocks but didn't help. Turned off the lights in the tank and in the room and this morning turned on the lights and the fish are so far peacefull.
I hope I don't have too many problems.
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Finally Started my stocklist Empty Re: Finally Started my stocklist

Post by Aura on Sun May 23, 2010 10:56 am

Cool that you were able to find a decent source nearby. I remember you have a pretty big tank, but what size is it again?
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Mon May 24, 2010 2:45 am

I have a 7 ft tank.
Yes I am stoked that not only I can buy the fish I want close to home but my dealer is a keen hobbyist as well and seems interested in helping me and not just making a sale. How lucky to be him and have a job that is your hobby.
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede on Mon May 24, 2010 7:29 am

That sounds great Jason Finally Started my stocklist Icon_smile ! How about some pics?
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman on Mon May 24, 2010 10:21 pm

We want to see them buddy..

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Fri May 28, 2010 3:42 am

I will post some photos soon. My camera is not up to the task so my sons girlfriend is going to use her new wiz banger camera.
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue on Fri May 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Wow. Considering how harsh your live import laws are Down Under you have a better selection than I do here in Las Vegas. And an LFS owner that genuinely cares about the fish he sells? Shocked You're a very lucky hobbyist Jason.

Looking forward to some pics. Cool
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by nitroloser on Fri May 28, 2010 7:04 pm

thats a fine stock list like to see the poly and the 2 peacocks with no id,and all the others for that matter
nitroloser
nitroloser

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Sat May 29, 2010 6:56 am

These are the best photos I could take out of over a hundred. Sorry they are not individual and not all fish are shown but these sadly are the best shots. I have added an Electric Yellow, another Venustus (my favourites) and another Moori. My original moori purchase looks like its spine has a slight deformity. It wasn't noticeable when I first bought it but is still a nice fish. I did notice on a local site -Tasmanian Cichlid Scene (no advertising intended) that there were quite a few old discussions about banning Imported fish but it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will. Oh yes and I really have to sought out a background.

Finally Started my stocklist Aaaa018

Finally Started my stocklist Aaa037

Finally Started my stocklist Aaa051

Finally Started my stocklist Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa024

Finally Started my stocklist Aaa036
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede on Sat May 29, 2010 10:36 am

Very nice setup JasonFinally Started my stocklist Icon_biggrin! Like the aquascaping. Cool looking rocks. Are they some kind of lava rocks? If I were you I would get hold of a deep blue or black poster. That would make this setup come to life even more.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue on Sat May 29, 2010 11:36 am

Jason Dolting wrote: there were quite a few old discussions about banning Imported fish but it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will.

That is good news. A while back there were discussions on many forums about the draconian proposals put forth by the Australian Government. Glad to hear they were fought back. I had been under the impression they weren't.

Your fish are awesome and very healthy looking and I really like the color and texture of the sand in your the tank. Is it collected locally or something bought?

Oh yes and I really have to sought out a background.

For many years my Mbuna tank had no background. One day I did a complete tear down and used the opportunity to paint the back of the tank black with interior latex. I rolled 3 coats in less than an hour and the result was spectacular. It really made the rocks and fish pop.
iceblue
iceblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Sat May 29, 2010 7:03 pm

The rocks are I would like to say sourced at a local dogwalking beach but that would be Illegal so I won't say that. They are some sort of lava rock. I had been collecting them for years and totalled about four or five. About 3 months ago I found a outcrop of rocks that had many(damn I said it anyway). It took about five trips a long beach walk and some mountain goat walking to get to but I wasn't happy with what I already had so I figured it was worth it.The rocks are pretty heavy and my poor old backpack, legs, neck and shoulders copped a flogging but I am happy with what I have. A bit of credit goes to my wife and twin girls who carried some on the beach walk back.
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Sun May 30, 2010 12:02 am

I did have black builders film as a background but it reflected the light. Ideally I would like a 3d background, they look fantastic but they are expensive , hard to source locally and because of the tank braces it would have too many joins. I have had a look at so many DIY 3d backgrounds but they look like a real challenge. I am going for a black painted background and I am kicking myself for not doing it before I set up the tank. I sprayed my old 4ft tank background with matt black spray paint years ago and it looked great until the paint started blistering. Thanks Iceblue for the tip on latex paint. I'm going to have a crack at painting the tank where it is with the cabinet masking taped. It will be a fiddly job. Fingers crossed It will not turn into a disaster.

Last edited by Jason Dolting on Sun May 30, 2010 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm an Idiot)
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Sun May 30, 2010 12:28 am

Your fish are awesome and very healthy looking and I really like the color and texture of the sand in your the tank. Is it collected locally or something bought?

I originally had a gravel substrate but done a little research and thought sand was better for the fish. The sand was collected from a local beach. I know there is a fine involved with doing such things but the sand at my local garden nursery just looked too fine. I washed the sand in a plasic 44 gallon drum about 2ft high and around 4 -5 buckets at a time and it took forever and ever. I recommend wearing a wetsuit and a backbrace and a sixpack of ice cold filtered beer. Maybe thats why it took me forever.
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Post by yodahorn on Sun May 30, 2010 9:40 am

Beautiful fish! What size is your tank?

yodahorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Mon May 31, 2010 3:38 am

yodahorn wrote:Beautiful fish! What size is your tank?

Thanks Yodahorn. It's 7ft - 130 gallons. there is a full view photo in photo gallery.

Last edited by Jason Dolting on Mon May 31, 2010 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Im an idiot)
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Finally Started my stocklist Empty Important to Australians and Interesting

Post by Jason Dolting on Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:39 pm

[quote="iceblue"]
Jason Dolting wrote: there were quite a few old discussions about banning Imported fish but it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will.
In regards to import laws in Australia .Looks like I spoke too soon.
This was posted from a local sight on the 29th may 2010, Please forgive me from posting from another sight, I hope it is okay to use here, It is a long post and scary stuff but I think it is important.

MESSAGE TO ALL AQUARISTS.

Many of you will re-call that the Ornamental Fish Management Implementation Group (OFMIG) are currently looking at placing severe restrictive bans and controls on huge numbers of fish from the Grey List (which is a list of several hundred species of fish currently in Australia that are being bred, kept and sold all over Australia by aquarists) on unfounded, ill conceived scientific data, that does not stand up to scrutiny, as to their suitability for all aquarists who keep, breed, and sell these species throughout Australia. Some of the species they will be looking at this next meeting in June 2010 are as follows. Cichla monoculus, Cichla ocellaris, Cichla temensis, all Crenicichla species, Parachromis dovii (wolf cichlid), Parachromis managuensis (jaguar cichlid), Petenia splendita ( Bay Snooks), all Lepisosteus (spotted) garfish species, Osteoglossum (silver arowana) species, Scleropages formosus (Asian Arowana species) Leiarius catfish species, all Polypterus (Bichir) species, all Potomotrygon (freshwater stingray) species, all Ompok catfish species, all Ctenopoma (leopard bushfish) species, and hundreds of Astyanax species (which are huge number of Tetra species), from a list of some 315 species this time, just to name a few.

Next time it will be Caquetaia umbrifferum cichlid, Chitala blanci and Chitala ornate (the Clown Knifefish species) Perrunichthys perruno and Leiarius marmoratus catfish species, Arapaima gigas, Tiger shovelnose catfish, Redtail Catfish, Fire and Tyre Track eels, Sorubim lima catfish, Red Devils cichlids, Texas and Cichlasoma uropthalmus species just to name a few. So they will begin getting into the species we all keep.

OFMIG has a technical working group (TWG) that employs a dubious Risk Assessment (R.A.) protocol that is being used to give all species a number after passing through this R.A. and any species that accumulates a number higher than 12 will be subjected to more stringent protocols as to their acceptance for trade, breeding etc, and that will include almost 80% of all species currently in Australia, and will all of the above mentioned species.

Many, many, many of these species could end up being placed onto a NOXIOUS list, if TWG and OFMIG get their way, which means you cannot keep, breed, or sell any species listed as NOXIOUS, anywhere in Australia, with huge fines for those people caught doing so, OR, they could be placed onto a permit system, that is yet to be fully investigated or accepted and approved by OFMIG and/or all State Fisheries jurisdictions, many of which do not have funds or personnel to implement such a permit system.

The TWG as part of their R.A. are using a “precautionary principle” for all species (which means if not enough information is available on any species it will attract a 2.1 number) which in a huge number of cases the fish we all keep, breed, and sell will put them over the number 12 limit, simply because of this 2.1 listing, and therein some form of “control option” will be placed upon those species.

FOR THE RECORD, THE PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY AQUACULTURE SPECIES EG, TROUT, REDFIN PERCH, JUNGLE PERCH, MANGROVE JACKS ETC, so why should it be levied onto the Aquarium Industry species??

Last edited by Jason Dolting on Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deserves its own title)
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue on Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:34 pm

That is not good news. We had some legislation put forth a couple of years ago by several Congressman that read much the same. Hobbyist groups, organizations and Businesses effected by the Bill mounted a grass roots movement to get the word out. They began petition drives online and gave out information as to what legislature to write, call or contact in any way to put a stop to it. It ended up being very successful. I myself both called and e-mailed my representative expressing my dismay on the subject.

I hope our fellow Australian hobbyists can mount the same kind of successful campaign we had. I would venture to guess that this will keep coming up every couple of years to try and wear down our resolve. Politicians have nothing better to do than get there name on something.
iceblue
iceblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:37 am

iceblue wrote:Hobbyist groups, organizations and Businesses effected by the Bill mounted a grass roots movement to get the word out. They began petition drives online and gave out information as to what legislature to write, call or contact in any way to put a stop to it.

We are doing similar, below is a copy of a letter to be e-mailed and posted to the relevant ministers (FUN POLICE / REVENUE RAISERS). It sounds like another money making idea for the government to squeeze a little more out of people by introducing a permit system which would be no doubt over the top and have too many rules and regulations. Mad

Dear Sirs,

It has been brought to my attention that your Department/s intend to upgrade many of the fish species currently on the National Grey List to the category of Noxious and I wish to object very strongly and oppose such actions.

I am alarmed that this intension was only made known to a few Industry people around October 2008, and it is proposed to be implemented in Tranches by State Fisheries Departments very soon. I also note that to date that consultation which have occurred has mainly been with parties such as Industry wholesalers who are largely unaffected by these proposals, and you seriously need to be made aware of the very large number of retailers, hobbyists and members of aquarium societies who will be adversely affected by these measures from unsubstantiated science that does not stand up to scrutiny.

Unlike the current Noxious list, the proposed extension may include many widely owned aquarium species, some of which have never caused problems in Australia and have been here for decades, and many of the most prized and valuable specimens in the hobby today, eg, Redtail Catfish, Arowanas etc. Other fish like African and American cichlids and other interesting fish form the heart of the collections of many serious aquarists. Many hobbyists have invested considerable time and finances in their hobby, which your proposals would wipe out overnight, and make criminals of them, with heavy fines applying if owning such fish.

Any re-categorisation should be on a species by species basis, based on valid scientific rationale and not on ad-hoc measures. It is critical that my interests and those of other hobbyists are represented by having XXXXX XXXXXXX present at the TWG meetings as a hobby representative and be directly involved in this process, so that the process is transparent and widely consulted rather than just an arbitrary subjective departmental opinion. Many of the species under consideration could not survive and/or reproduce in our waterways – due to temperature, water chemistry and huge predators that already exist in our waterways.

There is far more damage being done to the environment by the translocation of native and non-native species than any of our ornamental fish ( see paper by XXXXX XXXXX called Translocated Fishes in streams of the Wet Tropics regions, Nth Q’ld – Distribution and Potential Impacts in Rain Forrests areas. In CRC Feb.2004).

Far from protecting our environment the proposals and control options your Departments intend to implement will have the direct opposite affect. Regrettably it will spawn a “black market” and the fish which are today’s treasured pets are likely to be released into waterways, in an organized manner, rather than by hobbyists destroying the species in their possession simply because you say so.

Federal and State Governments will have to police these laws and right now they do not have sufficient personnel to prevent species entering Australia illegally, let alone be able to employ more staff with adequate knowledge of species already in Australia. Certainly there are species that do need attention, but there are many that do not, and thoughts also need to be given to those species and the hobbyists like myself that keep, breed, and sell these species.

I urge you to take a far more considered, balanced, and informed approach to this issue and allow Norm Halliwell to represent my interests and that of other hobbyists on all TWG meetings. Please reply to this communication as soon as possible.

References:

XXXXXXX XXXXXX, Translocated Fishes in Streams of the Wet Tropics regions, Nth Q’ld – Distribution and Potential Impacts in Rain Forrests areas. In CRC, Feb. 2004

Yours Sincerely,

Signed:
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:08 am

Good letter! Kick some butt Finally Started my stocklist Icon_twisted.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:45 am

theswede wrote:Good letter! Kick some butt Finally Started my stocklist Icon_twisted.
I must say this letter was not written by me but may be used with the authors full support by any Australian wanting to voice there discust. Personally I dont believe it will come to a banning of so many species if any. It has too many flaws especially in Tasmania where if a imported tropical fish was released into waterways they would soon perish due to the temperature, water chemistry and local and imported predatory fish. Just another poorly thought out money making government adventure aimed at the poor old hobbyist.
Jason Dolting
Jason Dolting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down