Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I AM A SALT TANK OWNER AS OF TODAY!!!!

+8
Scott
bulldogg7
Rift_Lakes_Rule
addicted2cichlid
theswede
Aura
Micheal
briansbelle
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I AM A SALT TANK OWNER AS OF TODAY!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: I AM A SALT TANK OWNER AS OF TODAY!!!!

Post by briansbelle Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:18 pm

yeah i love it, so far i found a new snail,a crab and some teeny feather dusters... this is awesome, and i only have 2 pieces of live rock in the tank...lol

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

I AM A SALT TANK OWNER AS OF TODAY!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: I AM A SALT TANK OWNER AS OF TODAY!!!!

Post by briansbelle Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:24 am

found a new home for the nem, and hopefully the clown soon...

will have lots of room for my zoas now Wink

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:37 am

briansbelle wrote:
THIS IS VERY EXCITING, to the point i am selling all of my freshwater fish except my pair of gold occies and fry Wink

Shocked

Don't do it!!! Sad

Glad your enjoying the new tank tho Very Happy
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by briansbelle Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:34 am

i am keeping my occies, i havent given up on freshwater completely Wink

but with this being my first salt tank i am afraid its gonna take up most of my tme,and its not fair to the other fish....

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Splash Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:30 pm

The other day I was working on my tank and I found a small coral it looks like a sponge coral but I'm going to let it grow more before I decide really what it is. Its yellow and has a small opening in the middle it could also be a leather coral, Hmmmm only time will tell.
Splash
Splash

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:56 pm

briansbelle wrote:yeah me too, the coral is neat looking but i want a tank full of color and with the nem i cant add anymore corals b/c of the stinging.

“The Frogspawn Coral is a large polyp stony coral (LPS) often referred to as the Wall, Octopus, Grape, or Honey Coral. Its polyps remain visible throughout both the day and night, resembling a mass of fish eggs or frog eggs, hence one of its common names Frogspawn. Its coloration is green or brown to tan in color. With its appearance and coloration it would make a nice addition to any reef aquarium. During the evenings, its sweeper tentacles can extend up to six inches beyond its base into the reef aquarium surroundings. It will sting other neighboring corals in the reef aquarium, therefore, it is best to leave plenty of room between itself and other types of corals. It is moderately difficult to maintain, but it is a popular coral that will thrive under the proper conditions. It will need to have moderate to heavy lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium.”

briansbelle wrote:thanks everyone,

i found out from the local salt forum that i need to get the maroon clown out of there, they said they get way too big.... so i am going to try to trade him for a pair of percs, or a single perc and hope it hosts the anenome. Wink

I have read and seen that keeping two clowns is a bad thing. The female will harass the male to death. In an 8g tank with no place to hide, it would not take long. Also, I've had my maroon for almost a year and he still fits in my 12g.

Just some food for thought. study study study

Scott
Scott
Scott

Back to top Go down

Post by briansbelle Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:57 pm

i got to watch my nem move onto the other side of the rock today, almost took it 3 hours to do it, but he made it...

i also found a teeny tiny little brittle star fish...

I LOVE IT!!

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by briansbelle Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:01 am

thanks scott,
i have decided on only one little 1 inch perc in the tank.

and i am going to be putting the frogspawn up at the top of the rock work, and most of my zoas around the bottom, i will try to keep them as far apart as i can....i am only adding a few frags to the tank,i dont like it when everything is crowded together, not in such a small tank... so each coral will have space around it...

and for the maroon clown, i am not sure i like that type as much as the percs, i like the percs more i think... Wink

thanks for the info though

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:53 am

Very Cool
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by briansbelle Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:43 am

update on the tank,anemone is gone,maroon clown is gone.

i now have different rocks,a scooter blenny,a nemo,and about 6 more frags..have frogspawn,purple/pink zoas,neon zoas,yellow zoas,and some others, i will get an updated pic today when the lights come on.

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:18 am

Very good then. I look forward to some photos. I need to take some of mine when I get back from class.
Scott
Scott

Back to top Go down

Post by briansbelle Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:07 am

got some new pics,redid the rocks and added a few new pieces, opens the tank up alot more and makes more room for other random peices of rocks for more frags... rocks rocks

will be picking up on the 23rd...
3 heads of kryptonite candy cane
3-4 polyps of purple death palys
3 polyps of nuclear green palys
and a small hammer coral which is gonna go at the top of the rockwork, far away from the frogspawn, which the clown has begin to grow very fond of..lol

ok enough with the blabber, on with the pics..lol

before extreme makeover tank edition lol

I AM A SALT TANK OWNER AS OF TODAY!!!! - Page 2 001-2

after:the glass is dirty, and i took this after the lights started to go out to make the dusk till dawn effect so actinics only till tomorrow Wink
I AM A SALT TANK OWNER AS OF TODAY!!!! - Page 2 030-1

lots more room for more small rock pieces and more corals Wink

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by briansbelle Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 pm

ok got an ok pic of the tank, no lights are on just the flash from the camera

I AM A SALT TANK OWNER AS OF TODAY!!!! - Page 2 029-1

**also i have just bought a 14 gallon biocube which is setup right now with dead base rock until i get my test kit and live rock to add to it to get the cycle going...the clown in this tank is not going into the 14, i am going to get 2 small clowns for the 14.. thumbs up

i will update with pics soon, just ordered a media rack for the 14 and also some purgen and also an underwater light for the chaeto, and i am getting a bunch of new corals on the 23rd...getting nuclear green palys,purple death palys,kryptonite candy cane,and hammer coral yippee
going with a purple/green theme in the 14...

once the 14 is ready the 8 will be coming down and be sold...i will keep the 14 and also my 28 once we move. rocks

to be cont...................................

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Drake-tripod Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 pm

nice what happen to all the other corals?
Drake-tripod
Drake-tripod
BOB SAGET!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by briansbelle Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 pm

they are in there, they have been glued to rocks, and the lights are off so most is all closed up, i will get a better pic when the lights come back on

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:41 pm

I don't understand anything you just said, but it looks nice! Laughing
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by briansbelle Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:42 pm

its ok betty, i am still learning the lingo...and thank you!

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by briansbelle Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 pm

update, i have added live rock to the 14, to get the cycle going...

i had my first run in with bubble algae, i got most of it off manually and then put it back in the tank and added a emerald crab to get what i missed, he is the only one in the tank so far, and i dont turn any lights on to hopefully starve off the algae and hope he gets some of it too...

i will update pics once everything is in and the tank is good to go...

also just FYI, all glass aquariums ROCKS!! i called b/c the splash guard on my biocube hood is hazy and not much light was getting through, asked if they knew where i could find one from a retalier and the guy couldnt find anyone that sold it.

he also asked how old the tank was, i told him i had no idea i got it used, most places would say well we cant help since its not under warranty.

he said "let me see what i can do" that was 2 days ago.

today ups shows up and i am thinking its my media basket for my 14 gallon, i open the box and its a splash sheild for my tank!!!! yippee yippee

briansbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2