NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative

Go down

NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative Empty NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative

Post by bulldogg7 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 am

About $9 at WalMart, for a 15X17" pad 2" thick
NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative Bag

cuts easily with a razor, and you can split it apart into sheets of whatever thickness you need, after cutting you can just brush off the loose fibers on the ends(which isn't a lot)
NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative IMG_8237

Here, I cut an 11X17" piece to fit my sump, it was a bit thick so I peeled it apart down the center and made 2 1"thick pieces leaving me a spare.
NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative IMG_8241
NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative IMG_8238
NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative IMG_8239

It's pretty stiff at 1", you should be able to cut 6X9 blocks for use in an Emp400, or even replacement ACsponges, or canister polishing pads.
It's not quite as tightly packed as the thin polyfil sheets but the extra thickness makes it more like a really fine sponge, won't clog quite as fast as the sheets but should actually filter out more.
bulldogg7
bulldogg7
Admin

http://www.bullmanphoto.com/

Back to top Go down

NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative Empty Re: NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative

Post by vman on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:17 pm

That's some good info Bulldog . I've seen this stuff used in filters but didn't know what exactly it was or where to get it . Thanks thumbs up
vman
vman

Back to top Go down

NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative Empty Re: NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative

Post by bulldogg7 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:06 pm

It can be cleaned, but it's time consuming when it's too cold to use the garden hose. Smaller sheets would probably be rather easy. I had to use the shower sprayer to knock most of the junk off then beat it against a wall, wet and repeat a few times. Think I'd be better off just buying some more and keeping it around.
NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative IMG_9557

NU-Foam Another cheap filter pad alternative IMG_9559
bulldogg7
bulldogg7
Admin

http://www.bullmanphoto.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Yuk! It looks like it's doing a great job of filtering .
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down