Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albino Channel Catfish

+2
vman
Spwoerful
6 posters

Go down

Albino Channel Catfish Empty Albino Channel Catfish

Post by Spwoerful Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Hey all,

I cant seem to post enough here.... i have always got questions. I have a 110 gallon, Malawi tank.... assorted Africans. In another tank, i have an albino channel catfish.... i cant seem to find online the ideal parameters for him. I wanted to know if they are somewhat similar to the AC tank. If so, id like to add him to the AC tank.

i had a bunch of Oscars a while back, in separete tank, didnt treat the water in any way, and had an albino catfish and they did great together. I know people are so touchy about mixing certain fish with others, and so im curious......

1. If the water parameters are similar?
2 . If a tank of mix AC would attack him. i have 2 Synodontis in the AC tank now, doing perfectly well.

thanks for your help

Spwoerful

Back to top Go down

Albino Channel Catfish Empty Re: Albino Channel Catfish

Post by vman Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:26 pm

Channel catfish can grow to be 4 ft/ 130 cm long and weigh up to 58lb / 26 kg
vman
vman

Back to top Go down

Albino Channel Catfish Empty Yes

Post by Spwoerful Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Yes, i understand how these things can grow. I had one years ago in a 29 gallon that got about 10". What i am asking is, is what are the ideal water parameters for such fish. Basically what im trying to find out is if i can slowly raise the PH and hardness of the water in his tank, so i can then add him to my cichlid tank. just wanted to know if he would do alright in the typical Cichlid water chemistry.

Spwoerful

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:19 am

try planet catfish they will be able to help on this, what i want to know is why do you want to feed your cichlids to this fish? channel cats eat anything and will out grow any cichlid.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Albino Channel Catfish Empty OMG

Post by Spwoerful Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:04 am

Ok, im done posting on this forum..... apparently all the people who reply are ignorant. Alll you people who post act like im going to put a 1" albino channel catfish in with a 1" AC and overnight the catfish is going to be 48" while the Ac is going to be 1" still.

Ive had the catfish before and it did just fine with Oscars, jack dempseys and convitcts.

If i add the catfish same time, or more importanlty, size, im SURE the catfish wont viscously go after an AC of the same size or larger. Or even smaller for that matter.

this is my last post
good bye

Spwoerful

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:21 am

Sorry to hear that. I would answer your question if i had any real knowledge about catfish. I´ve only had a few species through the years and only one of them have had problems with me enhancing the water hardness. He did not have any problems with a pH of 7,8-8,0 (out of the tap) as long as it where soft, but when i put bicarbonate into the water he got blisters all over. I´m guessing it took about 6 month slowly raising the hardness in the tank for him to be fine with it. He still swims in my 66 gallon together with mbuna and are now totally fine with the water parameters.

Last edited by theswede on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:58 am

I´ve looked around for albino channel catfish on the net and they will outgrow any african cichlid in a hurry. They grow about an inch per month and are very predatory so even if they can take the water parameters of the rift lakes your in for trouble. You got good advise from poolmako.

Last edited by theswede on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm sorry to hear that as well. Thank you, swede, for looking into it and finding that info.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vman Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:41 pm

It's just too bad that fish keeping isn't like Burger King . Have it your way ... bangin
vman
vman

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:37 am

swede thanks for backing me on this and to tell the truth im not sorry if this fool is done with the is site, i have been watching his post and i know he is most likely a noobie to the hobby but i think he wants the answers to fit his program and sometimes it just dosnt work that way.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:35 pm

YEARS ago I bought the cutest little white catfish and put him in my 3 ft tank.
A few months later I released the nearly foot long
channel cat to join his normal colored kin
in the little pond at the entrance to my subdivision.
(don't panic anyone, channel catfish are a native US species!)
Any way, a channel cat will swallow most anything that will
fit in it's mouth, so I hope the OP's cichlids don't soon become
lunch!

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down