Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PACING DAD

3 posters

Go down

PACING DAD Empty PACING DAD

Post by jcamaro2 Thu May 19, 2011 1:05 pm

My Yellow Lab is holding eggs and being this is my 1st time with any of my fish having babies I am thrilled. I just want to make sure I do this right. I would like to know how long until the eggs hatch? Then how long until they use their yok sack up and I can start feeding them? I made a egg tumbler just encase I need it so I am trying to cover every angle. I have left her in the tank but removed two guys (a small JD & a Small Auratus) that where giving her troubles. The small yellow lab male is still in there and has not given her any problems so far. What do you think I should do here and can someone answer my questions? Thank You

The tank is a 55 gal (2months old)
3 cats & a sucker
male lab ( smaller then the female)
1 large angel
2 Gourami's
2 Kribensis
6 zebra Danio's
water is perfect
jcamaro2
jcamaro2

Back to top Go down

PACING DAD Empty Re: PACING DAD

Post by Aura Thu May 19, 2011 3:56 pm

I have learned this the hard way! I would recommend that you let her spit them in the main tank and let nature take its course since they are probably hybrid.

I understand the thrill of the first fish holding and I did the exact thing that you want to do, but it was a huge mistake to save fry that were possibly hybrid. By the time I found out they weren't pure, they had some size to them and I just couldn't put them down. (Too cute, seemed so cruel, etc.) That was six years ago and I still have some of them. I've had to dedicate a 55 gallon tank to keeping the hybrid fry that I've kept or have survived on their own. I did not want to give them to a fish store or anyone that would try to sell them as pure greshakei -- which is what happened to me. Evil or Very Mad

To answer the questions, the eggs don't actually hatch. I don't know exactly, but it only takes a few days for the fish to start developing after the spawn. They use the yolk sac up in about 18 to 21 days or so at which point the mom will probably spit them.

Here are a few pictures to help you see the development over a short period of time.
PACING DAD IMG_50212

Four days later...
PACING DAD IMG_50593

And four more days...
PACING DAD IMG_51152

Your stock includes fish that will be better off if they aren't kept in a tank with mbuna. Are you planning to keep them together long-term? If not, you could add more Labs and experience the thrill of non-hybrid fry soon enough. Very Happy
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Fri May 20, 2011 3:18 am

I have had pure (Auratas) and hybrid (OB Zebra - female / Blue Zebra - male) and was/am excited about both. I gave the Auratas to a friend that was intersted in Cichlids (I gave him instructions as well) and they are thriving!

Right now, I have the hybrids - Zebras (I thought I had an all male tank - oops!), and have a friend that is giong to take 4 of them (He has NO intentions of selling them off, I made him promise me...) and plan to start another tank to house the rest. They are only 1/2 inch now, and are eating on their own (spat out on Sunday)... With the parents being what they are, I can't wait for them to color up!

It is, in my opinion, solely up to you what you what you do with them, but if you 'pass them on, it is yur responsibility to inform the recipient that they are hybrid fish. DON'T CONTAMINATE THE POOL!!!

Enjoy!

Last edited by jmcfive on Fri May 20, 2011 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum