Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot

+6
buntbarsch
theswede
cichlidman
Drake-tripod
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Aura
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot Empty Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot

Post by Aura Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:09 pm

Well I have finally ordered a few fish online and it went pretty well. Of the ten of us who ordered, only two fish were DOA -- yes, of course one was mine. But the remainder are still alive and I'm not completely afraid to order fish this way and might even try it again.

I got four of these little guys. They are the cutest things with those silly-looking faces. Very Happy The plan is to put them in with the tropheus, but they are in a QT tank for now and I'm thinking I might need to grow them up a little bit before introducing them to the troph tank.

At 1.25 inches, do you think they are too small to add to adult sized tropheus? There are also troph fry under an inch that go mostly unmolested by the adults, so maybe this is a good size to introduce them?

They've been staying at the back of the tank or under the rocks, making pictures hard to take. My daughter took the first one with her point and shoot camera.

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot Ce8d7422

That's a small nerite snail and a bristlenose fry in these photos as well.
Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot 36f07d02
Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot B3ead044
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot Empty Re: Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Awesome!!! They look great Wink

Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot Empty Re: Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot

Post by Drake-tripod Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:07 pm

good choice Very Happy
Drake-tripod
Drake-tripod
BOB SAGET!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Nice Drake...
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot 277513 Congrats! They look awesome. The coolest face in lake Tanganyika.

http://www.ciklid.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24042&d=1263852619
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:18 am

Now that is a great picture. I hope mine grow up to look just like that!
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buntbarsch Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:08 am

Great choice Betty, they look awesome. There are several different color variants depending on the location. You seem to have picked one of the nicer ones. Mine are not as colorful but I still love their behavior.
I don't think that you will have a problem introducing them to your Tropheus group. They totally ignore each other.

Here is a picture of mine. They are about 6 years old.

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot Eretmodus-13-1

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot Eretmodus-14-1
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Competition Committee

http://www.buntbarsch.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:37 am

Awesome shots Klaus! That´s is a real stunning Eretmodus. You should post more pics on the forum, so we others have something to drool at. drowning
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:05 pm

True, Klaus. Your pictures are what got me really interested in the Tangs in the first place. Your Eretomodus and I also love the Flavipinnis!
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buntbarsch Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks guys but this thread is about Betty's fish. No intentions of highjacking it. I just wanted to show how my Eretmodus look. Embarassed
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Competition Committee

http://www.buntbarsch.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:02 am

So are they still in the QT tank, or have you introduced them to the troph tank yet?
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:24 am

They are still in QT. I'd like to keep them there for at least two weeks. They are looking good as of today. For a couple of days, I was worried about one of them. It had turned a lot darker than the others and would lay on it's side in the sand, jumping up when other fish approached, but now it's much more active.

I wish they were a little bigger -- their order size was 1.25, but they seem smaller to me.

Not much bigger than a snail. Smile
Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot 5acd53ae

Looking just like the sand.
Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot 42f856f6
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Turtleman Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 am

These look great. How are they doing Betty?
Super Turtleman
Super Turtleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:34 am

They are doing well. I've moved them along with the calvus up to a 29 gallon to do a little more growing. I can't really see them with my eyes, but zooming in on pictures, I've noticed a few little black spots on them -- I hope that's not anything to be concerned about. They are feisty little fish and entertaining to watch.

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot 9bc10729

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot D6282c4a

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot 6e8cf765

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot D7ca7d24

Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Turtleman Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Betty, I've noticed those black spots come and go on most of my fish. I think it has something to do with the water quality...I was going to ask you if you got those often because I just noticed them in that last group of pics.
Super Turtleman
Super Turtleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Emil, I just looked back through the pictures from when I first got them and noticed some of those spots on them at that time too. They seem darker now. The calvus that are sharing the same quarantine/growout tank don't have any of the spots. I'm pretty sure it's not a water quality problem with the way I keep up with water changes and maintenance.

They are eating mostly NLS and also some veggie flakes.

I hope it's not some sort of parasite problem! I'll have to do more research to determine if it's something I should treat. I've read anything from too much spirulina to parasites, but nothing definitive.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Turtleman Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Hmmm, I hope it's not a parasite. If you find out something definitive please let me know.
Super Turtleman
Super Turtleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:36 pm

I still haven't figured out what the problem is. scratch It's becoming frustrating because it seems to be getting worse. They are still not in the tropheus tank and I don't want to add them if they might have something bad going on, but I can't keep them in this 29 gallon much longer -- they are getting nasty toward each other and need more room.

I do 50% water changes on all of my tanks at least once a week. In this one I've tried a salt treatment and also have treated for parasites with Parasite Clear, but it hasn't helped. They have been eating NLS and veggie flakes. They do not act sick at all! The calvus that are in the tank with them have none of these spots.

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot 59a4d400

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot Efdf0460

I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:42 pm

I don´t think that is any parasite or disease, but I understand that you don´t wanna put them together with the Tropheus before you are sure. I found these pictures of juvies that also seem to have dark spots.

http://www.ciklid.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22150&d=1253735192
http://www.ciklid.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22151&d=1253735206
http://www.ciklid.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22149&d=1253735181
http://www.ciklid.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22152&d=1253735220
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Also on this breeding pair you can see some black facial spots. Probably because of spirolina.

http://www.ciklid.org/fototavling/foto_visa_orginal_strl.php?nr=51540
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:16 pm

Those pictures look a lot like what's going on with mine.

You're probably right about it not being a disease, but in all the info that I've read, black spot disease was one of the possibilities. I don't see how it could be too much spirulina because they don't get very much of it. The veggie flake has some in it, but it's not the main ingredient. I've also read it could be scars/scabs from digging or fighting, but I don't know about that one either.

I've read that it's not harmful, but I'd like it to go away before I move them to the troph tank. At least it won't look bad on black tropheus. Smile
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Well, the aggression was getting pretty bad in the 29 gallon so I went ahead and moved them into the 75 yesterday. The tropheus mostly ignored them -- a couple of the juvie trophs had to investigate and chase around, but it only lasted about 10 minutes and they lost interest.

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot Ac2bee0e

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot E40c4723

Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot Ff055069
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paintguy Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Cool looking fish & nice pics as always.
Paintguy
Paintguy

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:55 am

Wow, they have grown nicely and they look great!
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by ovyaker75 Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:46 pm

how big do they get?
ray

ovyaker75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next