Is a Mixed Peacock a Hybrid?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:29 am

I asked the pet shop assistant but she couldn't tell me. Not her fault ,she was filling in for the owner. The fish I saw are colouring up nice and look like growing into handsome fish. They actually look like Orange/Blue Peacocks.
Sorry I did warn eveyone I would pester and pick your brains.
Jason Dolting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is a Mixed Peacock a Hybrid?

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:17 am

I assume the tank was labeled "Mixed Peacocks". If thats the case, it's going to be hard to say if they are hybrids. They could be legitimate species mixed together in the same "for sale" tank... or the fish in the tank could be a "mix" or hybrid of different species. You would generally want to see the genus and species labeled on the tank and a collection point would make it even better. The genus for Peacocks is Aulonocara. A few species of Peacocks would be baenschi, stuartgranti, jacobfreibergi, koningsi, etc. The collection point lets you know exactly where the fish is found in the lake as there are different color morphs of the same species at different locations around the lake. So, if you saw a tank labeled :

Aulonocara koningsi Mbenji

That would tell you the genus, species, and that it's found around the Mbenji Islands Wink

Mixed tanks are always a crapshoot.

Finding stores that have correct labeling isn't always easy, most stores around me that actually have the species seperated use "trade names" rather than scientific names. Best thing to do in that circumstance is get a good look at the fish, come home and search for that trade name and see how many scientific names come up. Then you can look at the different species associated with that trade name to identify which species it might be.

Finding a breeder is the easiest way to be sure your getting legitimate fish, regardless of what the label on the tank says, it comes down to the person selling them... how much do they actually know, how honest are they, etc. Reputable breeders are my choice when buying fish Wink

Hope that helps some.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 pm

My LFS will sometimes combine fish that haven't sold when they get new fish in to make room. So sometimes I do see fish in the Mixed tanks that I do know what species they are but only for the males. Most female peacocks look so much alike once they get mixed its almost impossible to tell them apart.
That being said and especially with Peacocks its always best to only buy fish where you are sure of the names. One reason being should the need ever come up where you want to buy more fish to combine with yours you are sure to get the same fish.
Micheal
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:56 am

I am finding out there are many nick names and abbreviations so I am cramming as much info as I can. In the past I wouldn't have cared as much but now I am finding it more interesting. Thanks for the help.
Jason Dolting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hiker73 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Just for your general information ... I've heard that the only way to truly tell one female peacock species apart from another is to count the scales. Females tend to be a drab brownish color. I don't know about you, but I don't plan on sitting around counting scales, so .... stay away from the LFS 's and look for breeders. Always your best bet.
hiker73

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top