Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

salt water

3 posters

Go down

salt water Empty salt water

Post by Splash Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:13 am

I keep my tank at 1.023 ppm the fish store keeps there tanks at 1.018 ppm. I keep my tank at what is best for my fish. Transfering so far has been ok but I'm watching long term effect on my fish.
Splash
Splash

Back to top Go down

salt water Empty Re: salt water

Post by Scott Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:42 am

I try to keep mine at 1.021 but I haven't been real good with my top offs lately so it has climbed to 1.026. ooops. It will be a few days of slow top offs to get it back down to normal. Slow up = Slow down.

Scott
Scott
Scott

Back to top Go down

Post by addicted2cichlid Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:54 am

i keep my reef at 1.025-1.026 at all times... ive noticed my corals seem "happier" when its a bit salty-er. for fish only i would keep it 1.018-1.020. if u have corals u will have much more success with the salinity at least 1.023.
addicted2cichlid
addicted2cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:26 am

One school of thought on the salinity level is (LFSs use it too) the lower the salinity, the easier to fight the parasites. Hence the Fresh Water Dip. But, since I am not the most punctual when it comes to water changes and top offs and I have seen my salinity rise to over 1.024, I think you could be on to something.

So let me say again, I am not the best at getting my water changes done. But, My water parameters = 0 - NH2&3, 0 - NO2 and > 40 - NO3. I dose with trace elements by hand every few days. I have never lost a fish to bad water.

With only having a 12g nano, I haven't jumped into the corals yet because I know they need more stable water quality than I can provide in a 12g. I am moving to a 75g tank real soon.
Scott
Scott

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down