Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sold as A Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail

+6
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Aura
Larry Johnson
iceblue
theswede
cichlidman
10 posters

Go down

Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail Empty Sold as A Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail

Post by cichlidman Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:06 am

Looks like a Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Otter Point to me.
What do you think?
Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail 020-8
Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail 023-11
Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail 025-5
Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail 026-10
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail Empty Re: Sold as A Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail

Post by theswede Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Looks like Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi "Otter Point" to me. The best ones i´ve seen have alot of yellow on the body and dorsal fin. Maybe because of line breeding? Like this one.

http://www.ciklider.se/malawi/aulonocara_jacobfreibergi.shtml
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail Empty Re: Sold as A Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail

Post by iceblue Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Very interesting. I referred to Ads picture in his 4th edition of Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat. (Man I love this book.) The A. Jacobfreibergi he has pictured is very close to both the Swallowtail and the line-bred species. The biggest difference being the lack of bright red in the dorsal and anal fins. Whether this has something to do with diet or maturity i can't say except that the line-bred fish seems to have more to do with the breeders preference then maintaining wild coloring.
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 pm

I agree with you about the book "Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat". thumbs up The perfect book if one wants to identify the location of a species for instance. I have several books but this is by far the best one.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Maybe because of line breeding? Like this one.
There are a few nice "Swallow tails" and its the location that they come from that determines their coloration.
Of coarse there are line bred varieties,but it would make no sense to line breed a fish from one location to look like it was from another.
You might have to go farther back in the literature to find out about this fish known as a "Carolina Swallowtail",which is from a different location than Otter Point. A quick "google" of images shows a lot of color diversity and there are even fish listed there that are NOT Otter Point varieties.
Your fish probably comes from decendants of the Zimbawe Rock,Domwe Island location, where I have personally observed this type of coloration.
As I said there are a lot of "Swallow tail" Aulonocara most of which have been re-designated as Aulonocara Jacobfeibergi. Below is another "Swallow Tail" from yet another location.

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "tsano rock"
Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail FRONT%20PAGE%20Jacobfriebergi

Cheers,Larry

Last edited by Larry Johnson on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

http://www.malawicichlidimports.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Now where have I seen that picture before? scratch Cool

Amazing that what some people try to come up with by line breeding can already be found in Lake Malawi such as your example of A. jacobfreibergi "tsano rock". It makes it all so confusing for those of us that wish to have something we think is associated with their counterparts in the wild. Suspect
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:59 am

It makes it all so confusing for those of us that wish to have something we think is associated with their counterparts in the wild.

Exactly, and i love to help you all out,,,I like the previous threads on "How they love Konings books!", this is the power of a well informed Cichlid Enthusiast.
I know the literature part can be like watching grass grow,,,but if you have been there it makes it more pleasurable to read,,,ya honestly Laughing
Going straight to the book to find out is so much easier and accurate than googling the web,,,you get the right answer,,,if the right fish is pictured!

I would point out that all of us when we start breeding our fish, we would all raise and use our best looking males,,,this in-itself is line breeding and there are many breeders taking their choices and breeding the fish for more color or certain colors,,,which makes breeding fish more fun.
I would point out at this time I am not a fan of cross-bred fish.

I think the fish pictured will be a nice fish when it gets up to the 4 inch size, he's looking pretty good now!

Cheers,Larry
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:00 am

Thanks for all the information.
Kind of a mute point now. It was with a male bi-color 500, and what was supposed to a male Lwanda. The bi-colored paired with the female lwanda and killed him.
I am just a little unhappy right now.
Ordered
1-neon blue chiwindi
1-caroline swallow tail
1-yellow collar
1-red top lwanda
1-eureka red
All males
Got
2-bi-color 500 males
1- female lwanda
1-Eureka Red not sure if male or female
1-Swallowtail.

At best it is going to be 2 out of 5 fish that are right.
Right now my money is 1 out of 5.
It was killed due to getting a female that was supposed to be a male.
Very poor business.
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:35 am

Sorry to hear that Roger. I hope whoever you ordered from tries to make things right for you. I still feel irked when I think about my so-called Red Empresses. I'm stuck with those and can't get pure ones now. Mad
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:23 am

Betty, sure you can, Hun.
When warm weather gets here, I should have plenty.
Super Red Empress. I am going to undertake shipping some fish.

The people I got these from will not even reply to me.
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:33 am

I would try to let them make it right,if they don not, then we would ALL like to know who you got them from,,,let the rest of your "buds" here know here!
Put it in words here and Google will certainly broadcast it for you!
You do not have to bad mouth them or nothing nasty, just the facts,,,clearly, anyone who does any checking on the person, friend, or bussiness should do a search before buying over the internet!

Thanks,Larry
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:38 am

Thank You Larry,

That's exactly what I will do. It is great to have your input here.
I have contacted them 3 times with no response.Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail 405456
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Larry Johnson wrote:I would try to let them make it right,if they don not, then we would ALL like to know who you got them from,,,let the rest of your "buds" here know here!
Put it in words here and Google will certainly broadcast it for you!
You do not have to bad mouth them or nothing nasty, just the facts,,,clearly, anyone who does any checking on the person, friend, or bussiness should do a search before buying over the internet!

Thanks,Larry

I agree with this 100% Wink

Negative feedback is every bit important as Positive feedback (maybe even more important). So long as it is written up just like Larry suggested, I personally have no problem with it and I don't think the team here would either. I know I'd like to know who they are... might even send em a nasty gram on your behalf Twisted Evil (course that would be private)
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by angeljin17 Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 am

Sorry to hear again Roger.. Sad
angeljin17
angeljin17

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:50 pm

Well They gave me a complete refund on all the fish. Sold as A  Aulonocara Sp. Caroline Swallowtail 380396

They apologized and said, it was due to dealing with a new farm. They admitted they got fish that were wrong, and some that were colored up.

They have taken care of the problem, and will not have the problem again..
I will not post the company's name unless you want to know.
cichlidman
cichlidman
Competition Committee

Back to top Go down

Post by moka Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:36 am

glad they took care of it for you Roger, i just wish they would not send "replacement" fish just because they dont have what you order in stock, that has happened to me a few times on different sites, including the site where Rogers fish came from

moka

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:12 am

Well I'm glad they looked after you,hope you can get what you wanted in the first place!
Farms often substitute fish and your supplier has no control over that,however if they had notified you and advised of their substitutes they would have been the farther ahead.
I have heard of this happening occassionaly though.

Cheers,Larry
Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by angeljin17 Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:28 am

Great to hear that Roger. I hope you'll have the ones you wanted real soon.

- jay
angeljin17
angeljin17

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:51 am

i also bought a few fish known has swallowtails and i thought they looked like a jake but the one thing i find different with the one pictured here and the ones i have is that they have egg spots and none of my otter point jakes or my lemon jake have egg spots so i dont know if this is some kind of a hybred or what.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm gald this topic came up. What I thought was a Chipokae, looks more like a Johanni (but...not...quite...) but the tail fin doesn't look quite right, and the color pattern doesn't seem right... I'm beginning to doubt that my rocks are rocks, and my caves may be clouds as far as I know... (where is the 'sarcasm' button?)

What I was led to believe was a Rusty, isn't... Same goes for the Livingstoni... It is a Venusturus (splng?). Quite the learning curve being new to Cichlids... The people of this site provide the only credible information that I have gotten so far (thanks all!)

I know my Red Zebra is a Red Zebra (hoping), and I'm SURE of my Acei, but other than that, I have NO idea what else is in my tank! It would be nice so I know exactly how to care for them!

Can anyone suggest any reference material so I can figure out EXACTLY what I bought vs what I received?

I will post pics soon, hopefully you all can help me once again Very Happy
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:49 pm

cichlid forum has the best profile section on cichlids i have ever seen i use it all the time.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:13 am

just check out the jake from tsano rock i sure hope that the fish i have, thats one sweet fish almost has cool as the otter point.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:47 am

poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down