Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi everybody!

3 posters

Go down

Hi everybody! Empty Hi everybody!

Post by football mom Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Wow, the last few times I tried to get on this site, I got something weird come up, and I was wondering if the site was still working.
How has everyone been? I've missed y'all!!
I've still got fish, I'm up to 22 tanks now....yikes!
I've drifted away from only Africans although I still have quite a few species. I now have some New World cichlids.
I've never been interested in angel fish, but I acquired 3 pairs last summer, and I have been raising angels! Quite labor intensive....
I will post a few pics when I get some time.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Hi everybody! Empty Re: Hi everybody!

Post by Aura Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm

J, glad you found us! Our domain name expired back in November, I think, and neither of the Mikes have been on in ages, so there wasn't anything that could be done about it.

Back in the 80s I used to breed angels. It took some trial and error for me and the fish to get it right, but they (we) finally got it right.

Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:48 am

i had the same trouble awhile back not sure how it got fixed, i had angels for many years took some time to get the fry to grow out but i worked out a way to do it then it was pretty easy, good luck.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:58 am

I'm glad I found you guys again, also! I had an oppourtunity to get some quality angelfish, and me, being me, just couldn't pass it up. I got a blue smokey pair, a blue platinum marble ghost pair, and a koi pair. They all have turned out to be egg eaters, though, so I've had to use hatching jars.
I've got several spawns from the smokey pair. They threw smokey, clown, chocolate and zebra, and one large spawn from the platinumsm they are only pre-dime size now, though. The koi spawned on the filter intake tube and I guess got infected with bacteria from that. The eggs hatched, but little by little the fry all died. I'm not giving up on them though.
I still have mbuna, some Vics, some Tangs, jewels, and rainbow cichlids, bristle-nose plecos, assorted schooling fish in my planted tanks.
What has everyone else been keeping and breeding?

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 pm

I still have my same fish. The mbuna are getting old, but still hanging in there. My leleupi pair are still together, same with the Julies... Cherry Spot tropheus... My two male brevis are also still together after many years. I never did find females to add to the tank... Uncountable numbers of bristlenose and cherry shrimp.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45 am

I've done pretty well so far raising the angel fry (fingers crossed), and I still have that
A. comp pair I got from Mike Thigpen years ago. I never had much luck raising their fry, couldn't get more than a few out of each spawn to survive and grow, until last summer, whenI had about 40 of them live and grow. They were a big hit at the last
HCCC auction. The pair have a big pile of wigglers just now in their little cave, Ma and Pa are gaurding them ferociously. The trick is going to be to retrieve them once they are free swimming because then they lose their instincts and eat them!

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 am

I'm still waiting for my calvus to pair up or maybe I should say grow up first. It is taking forever! I think I have two males and three females, but that's just a guess because of size differences.

How big were your comps when they started spawning?
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:49 am

i have a yellow calvus that is only 1.75 inch and she spawns with a big comp all the time i have not tried to save the fry do to the cross and im not really setup to raising out fry.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:48 am

They will spawn at a small size, I had one of their offspring that I sold that was only about 1.5 inches body length that spawned with a black calvus. I did try to save any of those fry.
The male I have has gotten WAY bigger than the female, he is a monster.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:33 am

Well, I think mine might be big enough now or they're getting close. Smile
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content