Not a good week...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not a good week...

Post by jmcfive on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Ick sucks! At least that is what I think it is... White cyst like spots on the fish in varying degrees. Cloudy eyes (one fish's eyes are totally grayed over and 'peeling' off... kinda 'stringy' like...) VERY lethargic and unbalanced swimming, and only a few are eating...

I did the ick treatment as it said on the bottle, started on Saturday - no help whatsoever. Lost a Lemon Jake, 2 Moori dolphins, 1 Obliquidens, 1 Orange Borleyi, 1 Friebergi 'sunshine', and a Dwarf Clown Pleco, and the carnage isn't over yet. I have a Friebergi in QT, a Rubin Red in QT, and a Blue Obliquidens in QT... And another Moori in an aerated 'bait bucket'... I am now fresh out of spare tanks, with 7 fish remaining in the tank, most just resting on the bottom, 2 still energetic...

I am now doing daily water changes, and increased the salt levels a bit to try to save the rest of that tank... Not looking good affraid
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Not a good week...

Post by Aura on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:59 am

Oh gosh, really sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have more than ick going on. The daily water changes will be good. I hope you get it under control.
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Turtleman on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:59 am

Raise the tank temp to 82ish degrees. This helps speed up the life cycle of ick and get it out of the system faster. You'll want to add a bubbler or two to help aerate the water if you raise the temp as well.
Super Turtleman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:11 am

Good luck to you, I have had something similar happen, so I know how you're feeling.
I hope you can get it under control.

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:35 pm

I raised the temp to 86, and increased the salt to 5tsp/gallon, pointed my water circulator up at the surface to get more air bubbled inthe tank (and slowed the current so they wouldn't wear themselves out trying to swim against it), and continued daily water changes of 50% while maintaining the salinity. Things have gotten better and I have managed to save 9 of 22 from my 125... Unfortunately these fishies were young (only about 1 year old) and got hit hard by this. I bet if they were older, they would have faired better...

Tomorrow, I'm going to start taking the salinity back down to normal, and dropping the temp 1 degree per day back down to 78. I'm pretty sad, and mad at myself for letting this happen. I had a female Blue Obliquidens holding and was VERY excited to get fry, but she was the one I lost... Not to mention the amount of money I had wrapped up in these guys... Ordering fish from around the world is expensive!

This hobby can be pretty rough on you, but looking at the positive, I'm still learning, and I learned a BIG lessen here.
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:33 pm

I think that most of us have had things like this happen at least once, probably more in a lot of cases. As much as you learn from mistakes, there's always something else... It can be discouraging at times.

I'm glad things are looking better.
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabertooth on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Oh wow, sorry to hear...I lost 2 christmas fulu, 1 frontosa, 2 kyoga flamebacks, 1 z rock, and 1 eureka red just last month...

Raising the temp and adding salt should do the trick. Hope things get better for you

Sabertooth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmymac on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:35 am

Sabertooth wrote:Oh wow, sorry to hear...I lost 2 christmas fulu, 1 frontosa, 2 kyoga flamebacks, 1 z rock, and 1 eureka red just last month.

Why?
jimmymac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top