Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jumper

5 posters

Go down

Jumper Empty Jumper

Post by Aura Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 am

Earlier this week I was doing water changes on my upstairs tanks and had left one tank with one of the glass lids opened. When I went back to it about 10 minutes later, I saw a fish laying motionless on the carpet. I thought it was dead (it was dark and partly dried up), but when I picked it up, I saw some movement, so I got a container of tank water and put her in it. I moved her gently back and forth in the water and she gasped and started breathing. When she did this, two little fry were spit out. They didn't make it, but she is fine now. I kept her in a breeder box for a couple of days and she recovered well. She was eating like she hadn't had any food for a month and swimming normally after a few short hours. I never saw any other fry. This was a P. flavus.

I've had them jump out of tanks before, but this is a first with a holding female. Sad
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jumper Empty Re: Jumper

Post by jmcfive Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm

glad to hear she made it! i had one last about 5 mins in a cave while doing a tank cleaning, glad I thought to do a 'head count' before continuing!
jmcfive
jmcfive

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:09 am

To bad about the fry, but cool that the female survived. This is a great way to get fish going again. I ´ve done it a few times myself and with a good succes rate. The last time was a red fin female that had got herselves stuck and could´nt swim on her own.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:17 pm

I've saved a few that had been lying on the floor long enough to be dried out that way
also. And one that the dog carried into the living room, after it jumped out!
Glad you saved your fish.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by tfoster7189 Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Glad to hear that the fish made it!

I had a Burundi Front. bail on me right around New Years, it didn't make it. I don't think that it was out of the water for anymore than a couple of hours. It was dry and stiff, but not decayed. The tank was even covered except for maybe 2 inches in the back where the plastic filler pieces usually attach to the glass canopy. The overflow box is located on the side of the tank that I found the fish, so I still don't understand how it got out.

tfoster7189

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:29 am

They can jump out of amazing small openings. I once had a female freyeri jump out a
1.5 inch diameter hole.

football mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down