What's new with your fish hobby these days!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's new with your fish hobby these days!

Post by football mom on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:25 am

The action on this forum has been rather scarce lately. I miss hearing from all my RLC friends, so i though I'd start a new thread.
I have made a few changes, I sold off a couple of species, and acquired a few more. I'm really getting into the planted tanks, and thinking
of trying to keep some CA or SA cichlids, if I can find some that won't get way big.
I have a gazillion red jewel fry, finally got a definitive ID on the species from Rare Dave, they are Hemichromis guttatus, and are really, really red!
I have my first batch of fry from my C. afra Cobwe, stripped a little early, so they are in a breeder box, egg sacs almost absorbed now.
There's a couple of dozen yellow lab fry and OB peacock fry growing out in a 33 long, and some P. white-tail acei (my favorite acei) and more lab
fry growing in a 10 gallon.
I have my rusty group in a 55 with the acei adults, and though they are not bullied, they aren't breeding, maybe they miss being in with the labs that they
always lived with until now.
My O. lithobates male has systematically killed off all his females except one, that I have removed. They are beautiful fish, but I'm thinking I may have to
let them go to someone else. I got them from the Capt, and they bred like rabbits in his 135, maybe the 6 foot tank was the key.
I have 6 juvie afra Cobwe growing up until big enough to add to the trio, and 6 juvie red empress likewise growing up, to add to the adults. So far the
empress females won't hold to term, so I guess I'll have to acquire an egg tumbler.
I have a 20L with about 30 BN fry, both normal and albino, I hope this time I can get the albino to survive to a sellable size. In with them are 5
Christmas fulu fry from Greg Steeves at HCCC.
My multi colony is thriving, and the 5 little Trophs I got from Mike have doubled in size and doing well. Mike!! I need more!!!
I have a 35 tall tank (36 long, 20 high) heavy planted that only hold one small BN, and some snails right now, I'm thinking of a CA or SA species for that
one, something that won't grow too big or dig up all the plants...any ideas? Someone suggested Apistos, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to use
it for a CARES list species that I could pick up at the FOTAS concention in November.
Anyway, that's the highlights of what's going on in my fishworld, you guys jump in and tell us what's happening in YOUR fishworlds!
I'll be waiting to hear from you all,
J

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's new with your fish hobby these days!

Post by theswede on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:38 pm

I agree with you J! This forum has been way to slow for a long time. Glad to hear that most of your fish and tanks are doing well. Nothing has happend in my tanks for a while. I´ve been struggling to keep the temperature down in them all summer. Some weeks i had to do water changes every day because of water temperatures between 86-93F. Funny enough the fish has not shown any sighns at all that the temperature has been to high. I´m gonna go and look at a second hand 106 gallon this week and hopefully it´s in good shape. The only problem is that i want both a Victorian and a Tanganyika setup.
For your 36 long planted tank there are alot cool dwarf cichlids to choose from. Here are some shots of different Apistogramma to choose from.

http://www.ciklid.se/artregister/artreg_visa_slakte.php?ID=6
theswede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:42 pm

Most of my little fishies are doing well... I can't get my "Battered Albino (unknown)" into any tanks that have existing Cichlids since he always gets beat up, so he is happily terrorizing my Australian Rainbows and Albino Catfish Smile

My 55 is doing well. The "ever reproducing" OB Zebra and Blue Zebra pair are giving me TONS of fry. I have 17 fry in a 20gal that will be going into a 40gal as soon as I get the background finished, there are 2 fry that I couldn't catch and are holding up just fine in the 55 with 2 Venustus, 1 Johanni, 1 Kenyi, 2 Saulosi, 1 Blue Zebra, 1 OB Zebra, 2 Auratus, 2 Crabro, and an Ahli... The OB is holding again... I don't have any plans to strip her this time - going to let nature take its course since I am out of room, and cant even give the fry away.

I am debating on an 'all peacock' tank though...

I am doing a cement over styrofoam once again, this time in a 40gal. I learned a lot from my first attempt, and will be improving this time around (such as having all overhangs sloping the correct way so they don't trap air bubbles...). I'm going to use sand as a substrate this time though... It's fun coming up with ways to create tunnels and caves! I'm sure the Zebra fry will enjoy it!

That's pretty much all I have going now, I'll post some more pics shortly!
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Wow, there ARE a lot of apistos to choose from!
I guess I'll be busy for a while reading about them.
Thanks!
Good luck with the used tank find... I love to get a bargain.

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:53 pm

I just ordered some plants on line. I spent an extra 12 bucks to have them shipped one day air.
I'll let you know how they arrive.

JMC, sounds like your 55 gallon is a tough neighborhood with all those guys in there!
Take pics of your DIY background project as you go along with it. I'd like to try one, but
haven't had the nerve yet.

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:51 pm

jmcfive wrote:
I am doing a cement over styrofoam once again, this time in a 40gal. I learned a lot from my first attempt, and will be improving this time around (such as having all overhangs sloping the correct way so they don't trap air bubbles...). I'm going to use sand as a substrate this time though... It's fun coming up with ways to create tunnels and caves! I'm sure the Zebra fry will enjoy it!

Good luck with the background project Very Happy . I´ve read loads of DIY threads about backgrounds and modules on Swedish forums and what i understand it´s hard to get them to keep over a longer time. The cement usually starts to fall of after a few years. One way to get around that as i understand it is to use a heat gun on the styrofoam surface to harden it before putting on the cement. Another thing that seems to work better then ordinary white styrofoam is the blue much more rigid type that they use to insulate floors and also outside to insulate the ground. Sorry, i don´t no the English word for it.
theswede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:20 pm

There's nothing much new going on with my tanks. Mostly the same fish in the same tanks. I've been thinking about getting a 125 gallon to move some of my bigger fish into, but haven't gotten serious about looking yet. I just don't want to have another tank to do water changes on!

I had to split my four P. multicolor Victoriae into two tanks because of the aggression. I know at least three of them are males.

The Julie and leleupi and regular bristlenose pairs are still reproducing regularly. Lots of other spawning with the mbuna, but I don't save the fry. I still haven't found any male leopard frog plecos to go with my two females.

I picked up a few albino bristlenose at our auction and there were a couple of snails and red cherry shrimp in the bag. We'll see how that goes -- I don't know the first thing about either of them.
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:07 pm

I ordered some plants from aquarium plants.com and they came in yesterday, actually
in pretty good shape. I got carried away, and ordered more than I needed to add to
my already planted tanks, so I guess I'll have to "plant" another tank. I'll post pics when I have time to take them and get them on photobucket.
I'm helping a co-worker set up a nano planted tank, should be fun. I'm going to try to make it as easy as possible for her to get going and keep it up.

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:05 pm

What size is the nano tank?

Karen Randall spoke at our last Aquarium Society meeting about planted nano tanks and got me thinking about the 2.5 gallon tanks I have sitting in a closet. I'm so awful with live plants that I'm not sure I should try again.
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:14 pm

The tank my friend has ordered is the JBJ 180 tank, it's 8 gallons and is in a half-circle
shape. It is like an Eclipse, in that it has filter and lights in the hood. The reviews
say that the 11watt light is adequate for undemanding plants, so I am going to give her
some crypts, small pieces of anubias, and such so she can landscape it the way she wants. I hope it works out for her, I try to encourage people to get interested in our
hobby, and I would feel bad if it doesn't go well.
I have a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon sitting idle in the garage myself, I'd set them up, but
don't have anywhere to put them, lol.

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by why_spyder on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:27 am

Not a lot of new stuff going on with my hobby right now, though I have been shooting the fish more and more.

Within the last couple weeks we picked up some fish from a guy that wanted them gone - at no cost (other than gas money to get there). Got a few fish back that were from my old breeding groups (L. fuelleborni Katale) but lost one of the three - so I'll likely have to track down more again to add to the two (doubt I'd get lucky and end up with a pair that spawns). The better news is that we ended up with a new species that I wanted in the past but never could afford while with my ex-wife - Tropheops sp. "Elongatus Boadzulu" Kanchedza Island. These came from Reserve Stock Cichlids in NY originally. I think there is 5 of them but at least 3 are males.... Mad

Our C. sp. "Hara" are breeding us out of room so I'm slowly thinning down the fry through unnatural selection, lol. I figured with so many fry to chose from I definitely have the means to be picky and possibly select out the next generation of breeders. I'm still waiting on my C. afra Lupingu to start breeding because I know once they start they, too, won't stop.

I need to track down some more C. sp. "Lion" Lion's Cove, the three I managed to attain from a friend (originally from me) have dwindled to two - and they both look like males. Mad

My girlfriend really wants more M. callainos 'Pearl' to add to her lone female, and a group of Ps. "Williamsi North".\

Not sure if it is directly hobby related, but close - I am working towards getting my first DSLR (using the GF's for now) as well as working on my Cyno site..... cheers
why_spyder

View user profile http://www.cynotilapia.info

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:37 am

Do you have your Cyno site up and going now?

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidman on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:42 am

Hello friends, cheers

Most of my changes of course as I posted have been for the worst.
I down sized from 28 to 9 tanks.
Of course this was due to health issues.
I went through some serious issues with major depression.
I had shoulder surgery, I had a heart attack, followed by stints.

I am doing much better , before everyone gets to concerned.

I won a photo contest sponsored though a fish supplier.
I will Soon receive 10 new Peacocks/Haps for my all male show tank as 1st prize.
I know there is a Copadichromis Mumbo white blaze
Albino Eureka Red big grin
Albino T-Reef
Albino Yellow Maleri
White Knight Fryeri
And several more..
I just know Pieter says they will be very nice fish, and some beauties.
I will post pics after I get them. big grin

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD
cichlidman
Competition Committee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by why_spyder on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:20 pm

football mom wrote:Do you have your Cyno site up and going now?

Yes it is. The forum is shutdown but articles, gallery, and my own stuff for sale are in its place. I think the link is in my signature, but if not here it is: http://cynotilapia.info/
why_spyder

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Cichlidman, so glad to hear you are doing better!

Brian, I will check out the cyno site. I'm really getting interested in them, I love the
mbunas, but some of them just get so big! I can keep a larger group of the cynos than some of the others, and they do so much better in large groups.

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Sad to report almost nothing. I feel like my life is in neutral right now..
iceblue

View user profile http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Nice to see you back Norm! thumbs up
theswede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Yes, Norm; it's good to hear from you. I hope things get into gear soon.

Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:52 pm

With the assistance of my spousal unit, today I recovered about 2 dozen new lab fry, and about 12 or so C. afra Cobwe. The little afra females are
becoming quite prolific!

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by why_spyder on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:37 am

Well this last weekend we went to Fall Fish Fest, hosted by a local aquatics club. The plan was to stay Friday night through Sunday morning but we decided to head back late Saturday night. While we were there we picked up several new fish to add to our tanks as well as my girlfriend's parent's tank (38g).

For the parent's tank we go Neolamp. multifasciatus (10) and some albino bristlenose.

And for our tank we picked up more Labeo. fuelleborni Katale Island (1M/3F) and some albino bristlenose.

The funny thing is, the Labeo's came from me months ago; they were offspring from my OB male and OB female breeders that I had to sell for my divorce. I already got back 2 OB females from 'my' bloodline a few weeks back, so the 4 I picked up this weekend (1 standard male/3 OB females) make my new breeding group quite nice. When we got home at 1 a.m. on Sunday morning, we floated the bags and then released the Labeo's by 2 a.m. I was woke up at noon on Sunday by my girlfriend telling me the Labeo's were spawning, lol. So not only did I get my old fish back, but they are giving me new babies on top of it. Been a pretty impressive experience to say the least. cheers
why_spyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:44 pm

That's awesome, Brian. Those fuelleborni must have been glad to be back home. Smile
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Cool!

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:05 am

We had about 9 inches of snow today, which is a lot for this area, and of course a power outage came along with it. We have a generator, but the problem I have is not knowing how long to wait before I go through the trouble to get it up and running. (I'm always at home alone when the power goes out. Rolling Eyes ) I went ahead and shoveled the incredibly heavy snow to clear a path to get the generator out to where it needs to be, and wondered how I was going to lift five gallons of gas up high enough to fill the tank without spilling it everywhere. (Since getting my python a few years ago, I don't do much lifting of five gallons above waist level -- weak, I know.)

I did get the tanks all covered with blankets, turned off power cords, etc.

Three hours later the power came back on so not long enough to have any fish problems. It's been sporadic, but so far it's staying mostly on. This was much better than the 48 hour outage we had a few years back. That one was the reason we got the generator.
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Glad everything is ok!

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Johnson on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm still around,lots of fish and more coming in later this month from Malawi.
Thinking of building an addition outback to expand to a larger capacity, as the basement is full!.
I have a friend doing a drawing so I can take that with me to the building dept.
Should be able to triple or more, of what I have now.
Currently I was going to reconfigure one of my walls to 30-15 gallon tanks. I got the bulkheads for the tanks to do it, but just might wait until I
see what I can do outback.
Looking at a building 28X35 or bigger if I can!
I'm off work right now and I just may never go back if I can do the addition!

Cheers,Larry
Larry Johnson

View user profile http://www.malawicichlidimports.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top