Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25 hours of hell

5 posters

Go down

25 hours of hell Empty 25 hours of hell

Post by poolmako Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:08 am

thursday night during a freak mid april snow storm we lost power at about 9 pm after waiting an hour or so we just went to bed thinking it would be back on by morning no worries right wrong, over 20 power poles where out ether snapped in two of the cross arms broke, 7 am getting worried about the fish tank temps dropping fast and no filters running, tried to warm them with water heated on the stove that wasnt working tried to a few other ideas to power the tanks but no luck and everyone i know with a generator was using them, at about 2pm i just gave up trying to save the fish they are now on there own my friend and i go watch the power company guys work and they are making good time on the repairs but not fast enough i fear for the fish, wife and i go to town and eat dinner with some family and try to forget about the fish for a minute didnt work, went home about 8pm and got the candles and things going for about an hour we just talked and checked the temps on the tanks now down about 68 and i know now that i will wake up to tanks full of dead fish so we just go to bed at 9 then about 10pm i hear the filters come to life but still i cant do anything but check that all the heaters and filters are on they are, got up about 4am temps are in the low 70s and i still see no dead fish, i figure i will still lose a number of fish soon i will start doing water changes and filter cleaning and im sure to be fighting ick in all tanks, before you ask the water heater is electric.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

25 hours of hell Empty Re: 25 hours of hell

Post by Norm66 Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:30 am

Oh man, that sucks. I hope things work out for you.

Norm66

http://Maliceband.com

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:43 am

Sorry to hear that! That´s a nightmare. I would not worry that much over the tank temperature. 68 F is´nt low enough to harm your fish during 25 h. I would put in salt after the wc as a precaution. The thing to worry about is dead nitrification bacteria. Especially if you use any canister filters at all (lack of oxygen).
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:54 am

so far all fish still swimming and all fish are eating, water changes and some filters cleaned.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:51 am

Damn Mitch, I know that had to suck!!! Glad to hear they are doing well Wink
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:24 am

Glad the fish made it okay and hope you don't see any problems now.

Back a few years ago, we had a 48 hour power outage in the middle of December. Tank temperatures were in the mid 50s and I had 11 tanks running. I only lost two fish -- a tiny fry and an older fry in a 10 gallon tank. The fish were extremely lethargic during that time and just stayed at the bottom of the tank. I thought for sure that they would all freeze to death in water that cold, but they never even got sick.

I do worry about filters coming back on and dumping nasty, stagnant water back into the tank, so when power goes out, I always unplug all filters. If the power doesn't come back within a few hours, I try to pull the bio media and put it in the tank. And I usually end up cleaning filters if they sit too long. Mad
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:56 am

all the fish are fine and i even have a female who was holding before the power went out still holding, i think i was more stressed then the fish.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum