Filtration

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Filtration

Post by rkraposa on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Anyone have thoughts in filtration with respect to gallons per hour? I have an Aquaclear 70 on my 36 gal. Says it is supposed to do 300 GPH. I know that it is probably 65% of that which means more like 195 GPH. Do I have enough filtration? I ask because I have these super tiny white particles that give the tank a cloudy look. I really don't think it is a bacterial bloom. I use a Chemipure insert instead of the Aquaclear insert. I also recently bought this very thin pad to place in between the sponge and chemipure. It is supposed to trap the tiny particles. Any thoughts?
rkraposa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Filtration

Post by jmcfive on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:07 pm

I have always gone with 10 times my tank size per hour. 36 gal = 360 gph rate, then go up to the next size, which would be 400 gph. I am not opposed to hanging 2 filters on the tank either, just to make sure I have enough filtration. This has worked for me, along with weekly water changes.

someone correct me if I am wrong...
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rkraposa on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:31 pm

I think I am on the same page with you JMC. I have always preferred to do smaller, more frequesnt water changes and at this point I am thinking about getting an additional filter. I was just wondering if it was overkill for a 36 gallon tank and 2 filters. I have to consider expense as well. I mean, I admit, I am a bit neurotic with is tank, but to me, why bother having a tank if it is not clean and clear!?
rkraposa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:54 pm

I run two filters on most of my tanks and most of those are rated for tanks larger than what I use them on. (I have Aquaclear 70s on 20 gallon tanks.) And I do at least 50% water changes weekly. It's probably overkill, but I like having two filters so I can stagger thorough cleanings and if one stops for some reason, there is still another one running.
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rkraposa on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Well, like I said....I'm a bit neurotic and my wife tells me that the tank is probably clean by most other's standards. Smile

That being said, though, in the day since I wrote this original post, the tank has been clearing up. The recommendation for that pad (cannot remember what the actual name was) seems to be a good one....and it was only $4..!

I want to again thank everyone for their help. Keep it coming!
rkraposa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top