Kenyi, Crabro, and Auratas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kenyi, Crabro, and Auratas

Post by jmcfive on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:39 pm

A few 'recent' pcis...

I'll try to remember to take the veggie holder out of the tank the next time I take pics! Embarassed
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kenyi, Crabro, and Auratas

Post by jmcfive on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:43 pm

I apologise fo rht eresolution... It seems as if my camera focuses on the background more than the fish! If they would only hold still...

jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:05 pm

There are 18 fish in this tank, but the ones seen here are the non reclusive ones... I can only get the others out at feeding time since they are a bit smaller than these (these are the original ones that I inherited)! There is 1 male and 5 female Auratas, 2 male and 7 female Kenyi, and 3 female Crabro in there. So far, none lost to aggression!

The 2 female Kenyi in these pics are inseperable; they are ALWAYS together! Best friends???

I am working on a custom background to mimic rocks, with caves, out of foam... It is a bit more of a chore than I thought it would be, but I have plenty of foam if it doesn't come out right the first time. The foam rocks/caves will be complimented with TONS of 'hollow ceramic stones' to add to the tunnels and caves.

2 400gpm HOB filters, 2 150watt heaters, a 50/50 light, and a bunch of play sand will round it all out. I'm hoping I can get the picture that I have in my head realized into the tank Very Happy
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by football mom on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 am

How big is your tank?

football mom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:06 pm

The one in the pic is a 40. They will be in a 55 within 2 weeks.
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:02 pm

let me explain...

I inherited the fish in the pics. They were in a 20gal that was NOT set up for them (see the thread in the 'Tang" section under, "MANY questions, as I am new to the species"). I got them when they were about 1 inch in length. The neighbor was moving, and was going to flush them if I didn't take them, and being a sucker for animals (fish especially) I decided to adopt them. Prior to this, I had ZERO experience with Cichlids.

TONS of research eventually led me to this Forum. I have learned a LOT about these little guys from the kind folks here, and am progressing through the 'trials' without the 'tribulations'.

They went into the 40gal but are outgrowing it (The male Kenyi is about 4 inches, and he is the largest fish in there). They will soon go into the 55 once I finish getting it ready for them. The plan is to let them live out their lives in a 125, but since I have so many other tanks going already, space is the limiting factor right now. To remedy this, my tank consisting of 9 cichlids, that I purchased in January, will all go into the 40 once I move these to the 55 (they are growing out in a 20 long right now).

This, and a consolidation of my community tanks of Platys, Mollies, Danios, Australian Rainbows, Albino Catfish (2 came with these cichlids in the same tank), Dwarf Gourami... wIll all end up in the 40, the group of 9 cichlids will go to the 55, and these will be in a 125...Eventually... I just have to make the room; I have a plan to 'make it happen'. There is a method to my madness Very Happy

I am now 'hooked' on cichlids, and will probably never buy another type of fish! Well, except more Gourami... Something about them that I can't get over!
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:32 pm

So how many do you have in the 40 that are moving into the 55?
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:38 pm

There are 18 in the 40 right now, some of which 'appeared' while cleaning the tank. I thought either the female spit early, or the residents had a feast. Apparently some made it - true survivors.
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Okay, that sounds like a decent number. I have always had better luck with aggression when my tanks are heavily stocked. Especially when I kept auratus.
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmcfive on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 pm

I got the 'number' suggestion from 'TheSwede's" recommenation, so it had to be right Very Happy

I have also made MANY trips to MANY LFS's to trade males for store credit, only to purchase more juveniles in hopes to get more females. I think all of my females are actually females now (Kenyi) but one of my Auratus is transitioning, so off I go again this weekend for another round of 'guess the fish!'.

From what I hear about Auratus, I have one that is fairly docile now that there aren't any more males of that type (or so he can tell) in teh tank. He just hangs out, and is actually friendly now, except when the male Kenyi goes into his cave.

Fun little guys!
jmcfive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top