Bargain Tank

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bargain Tank

Post by Jason Dolting on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 am

G'day All,
While at my lfs today I spotted about ten 4ft second hand tanks for sale at $80 a pop in good condition (a bargain). All were sold except one 4ft with 2 dividers (3 sections) wich I bought and will pick up tomorrow. I'm absolutely spewing I missed out on the others. How can I put this new tank to best use? Maybe I could use one section for a hospital tank wich I currently don't have and the other two sections for fry? Or maybe remove the two petitions so I can have another 4ft tank? At the moment I have a 2ft tank which is a home for Venustus fry and my Female Venustus is holding again so i will need somewhere to put the new fry or can they be added to the older fry? (they are about 6 or 7mm).
On a similar subject I have another 4ft tank empty and was thinking about starting a grow out tank with it so I can eventually add more fish to my 7ft tank. The fish in the 7ft tank are fighting like mad and I am hoping by adding more fish it might cut down on the aggression a little plus it would look better with more stock. Would this be a good move? The tank currently houses 15 fish. Any suggestions would be a great help.
Jason Dolting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bargain Tank

Post by Aura on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Nice find! Are the partitions solid or can water travel between them? I think if it were mine, I wouldn't use it as a hospital tank because something could get into the water of the other sections. It's also nice to be able to thoroughly clean a hospital tank after use.

A sectioned fry/holding tank sounds like a good idea.
Aura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:38 pm

Agree with Betty, it would solve the dilemma you have now. You could potentially house 3 seperate batches of fry in a large water volume. Depending on how it's divided... Wink

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drake-tripod on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:38 pm

if it was me id have 3 small panted tanks or 3 reef tanks
Drake-tripod
BOB SAGET!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19 am

I picked the tank up today. The dividers are solid glass (no perferations) that go all the way to the lid so the water will not mix. I am thinking a triple fry tank is the way to go especially the way my fish are breeding at the moment.
Jason Dolting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:36 am

Drake-tripod wrote:if it was me id have 3 small panted tanks or 3 reef tanks
Planted tanks look great but I never had any luck with them they always died. I would like to have an American, South American Cichlid tank one day but the plant side of it turns me against it unless I used plastic plants. Reef tanks look amazing but I'm hooked on Cichlids.
Jason Dolting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drake-tripod on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 am

Dude it's all about the light if you got the light your fine
Drake-tripod
BOB SAGET!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content