Flow rates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flow rates

Post by Jason Dolting on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:09 am

Hello all. I'm hoping somebody can help answer this question.
On the return pipe from my sump filter to the tank there is a t section pipe (join) with shut off valve that returns water back to the sump. I'm guessing it is to filter the water twice before it is returned to the tank? When its valve is open it reduces the flow rate into the tank and into the sump. When closed it has kick ass water return to the tank which stirs up any mess and clears the tank nicely. Is the water being filtered properly when it is flowing at such a fast rate? Is it better to have the valve open or closed?

Jason Dolting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flow rates

Post by addicted2cichlid on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:14 pm

any chance u could post a pic. i just want to make sure i understand this. So from the return pump in the sump it goes up and then T's off... one side of that T goes back to return into the tank and the other side of the T goes back into the sump?

if this is the case i would just run the T closed and get the good water flow. Really no point to have the filtered water just get run through the media again.
addicted2cichlid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 am

Yes that is exactly how it works.
Sorry for the bad pics my camera has died these were taken from my phone. [img][/img][url=][/url]
Valve closest to pump is main flow. Valve on vertical pipe is for return flow back to sump. I also have a canister filter running.

Last edited by Jason Dolting on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : makes more sense)
Jason Dolting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:50 pm

As long as your overflows can handle the full blast of your pump I don't really see the necessity of looping the extra valve back to the sump unless you wanted a degree of control over the flow without choking down the pump outlet.
iceblue

View user profile http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by addicted2cichlid on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 pm

iceblue wrote:As long as your overflows can handle the full blast of your pump I don't really see the necessity of looping the extra valve back to the sump unless you wanted a degree of control over the flow without choking down the pump outlet.

exactly. nice hard plumb.
addicted2cichlid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:53 am

Excellent full blast it is then. I have another question. I have made another spray bar to direct the flow more to the bottom of the tank. The old one just seems to blast straight across to the overflows. I have joined the L-shape pipe with a pvc pipe solvent cement that states that it is suitable for drinking water use. Would this be o.k in the tank. All the plumbing on the tank has been joined with the same glue but this time the whole pipe will be submerged in water as apposed to just the insides of the piping so im thinking it might be a stronger concentration. I googled the product and it was stated that the product is not expected to bioaccumulate in aquatic organisms. has anyone else used this inside there tanks?

Jason Dolting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by addicted2cichlid on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:54 pm

using pvc primer and cement will do the trick. just make sure to let it cure fully b4 you submerge it.
addicted2cichlid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Dolting on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:41 am

cheers. I glued it three days ago and it had a strong odour so I put it in a bucket of water for a couple of days. I can't smell any odours now so I will try it out.
Jason Dolting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top