Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yellow cherry spot?

+2
theswede
Aura
6 posters

Go down

Yellow cherry spot? Empty Yellow cherry spot?

Post by Aura Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:10 pm

I know with my mbuna that they will not fully color up for various reasons, usually it seems like a dominance thing, but this one particular tropheus in the group of 17+ of different ages remains a bright yellow color.

When I first got them, most of the smaller ones had a hint of yellowish-red -- they turn those colors on and off, but this one has always been yellow and never changes. He's gotten to be of adult size, not a dominant one, but is not picked on any more than the normal chasing back and forth that they all do.

Yellow cherry spot? 1731da29

I was hoping he'd take on the normal colors as he grew, but so far he looks more like a lemon spot. Rolling Eyes
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Yellow cherry spot? Empty Re: Yellow cherry spot?

Post by theswede Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:51 pm

I´ve seen pictures of cherry spots that are yellow before and it´s always been fish that are juvies or not high in the hieraky. Tried to find some pics for you but there are to many Tropheus threads and to many posts to go through, so I gave up. But I did find this video on youtube with one "lemon spot"

theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by iceblue Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:06 pm

Perhaps he's a genetic variant. I notice in the film Hakan provided that the "red" cherry spots disappear in the shadows but the "yellow" one is still visible. If it is a genetic variant yellow would appear to be detrimental to it's ability to hide in the wild when need be.

I hope Klaus will be able to shed some light on this. You don't get much of this type of color change with Mbuna.
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:21 pm

theswede wrote:I´ve seen pictures of cherry spots that are yellow before and it´s always been fish that are juvies or not high in the hieraky. Tried to find some pics for you but there are to many Tropheus threads and to many posts to go through, so I gave up.

Yes, I know there are so many ... I've tried looking as well, but even searching for specific words, you still end up with different species and so many of them. Well I hope that this is just a hierarchy issue. Thanks for checking!

Oh, that video is mine. Razz How in the world did you come across that obscure little video? My Youtube channel is mostly music videos that I've taken at some of the shows I've been to, but I have a few fish vids scattered around in my uploads. https://www.youtube.com/user/aplayinpossum? goldfish

Norm, that's a good point. I'll have to keep an eye on him/her and not keep any little ones if it doesn't show that it can change to red at all. I haven't even seen a hint of red so far.
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Aura wrote:
theswede wrote:I´ve seen pictures of cherry spots that are yellow before and it´s always been fish that are juvies or not high in the hieraky. Tried to find some pics for you but there are to many Tropheus threads and to many posts to go through, so I gave up.

Oh, that video is mine. Razz How in the world did you come across that obscure little video? My Youtube channel is mostly music videos that I've taken at some of the shows I've been to, but I have a few fish vids scattered around in my uploads. https://www.youtube.com/user/aplayinpossum? Yellow cherry spot? 857872

Laughing That´s funny.
theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:31 pm

I wish it was someone elses' so I'd know mine wasn't the only yellow one. scratch
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Interesting, can't say that I know. I'm sure Klaus will know sumthin.

Great vid Betty!!!
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Wow, Håkan, some of those look really, really old. Shocked

And thanks for taking the time to find those. Smile
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buntbarsch Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Betty, there is nothing wrong with your fish. Both are sp. "Bulu Point".

Instead of trying to explain it myself and screw it up, I scanned the section about the bulu point from the "Tropheus Bible" by Peter Schupke.

Yellow cherry spot? Bulu-point-1

Yellow cherry spot? Bulupoint

This will give you the answer you are looking for.
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Competition Committee

http://www.buntbarsch.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by buntbarsch Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Betty, there is nothing wrong with your fish. Both are sp. "Bulu Point".

Instead of trying to explain it myself and screw it up, I scanned the section about the bulu point from the "Tropheus Bible" by Peter Schupke.

Yellow cherry spot? Bulu-point-1

Yellow cherry spot? Bulupoint

This will give you the answer you are looking for.
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Competition Committee

http://www.buntbarsch.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by vman Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:15 pm

great info !
vman
vman

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Thank you so much for that info. Some interesting stuff in those pages. I've noticed the bluish eyes with the little rim of red -- it wasn't easy as fast as they move. Interesting also that they can be without spots.

Thanks to everyone for your help. thumbs up
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down