Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

decisions

5 posters

Go down

decisions Empty decisions

Post by victoria Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:14 am

hi, i have a new 5x2x2ft tank on order which was initially going to be another malawi tank but recently i have been swaying toward a tang tank.

i absolutely love my malawis to bits but i would like to have tangs aswell.

im finding it extremely difficult to choose which malawis to keep as some where meant for the 5ft so arent all ideally compatible so i may not be able to choose & still go with another malawi tank

but.......

if i do go with tangs i will be needing some advise as i know next to nothing about them other than they are very beautiful.

i was thinking of having a lallupi & julidochromis dickfeldi species tank so if anyone can advme on this to begin with would be great

thanks
victoria
victoria

Back to top Go down

decisions Empty Re: decisions

Post by Becca Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Vic, i am also new here Very Happy

I think its a great idea to go with some Tangs... IMO they are more interesting than Mbuna (once you've seen one you've seen them all and as you already have an mbuna tank why not go for a change!

You can have different Biotype and behaviour to your mbuna.. the leleupi are lovely little fish and i am considering getting some for my Juv Nangu tank until my Wilds arrive.. Smile

Becca

Back to top Go down

Post by victoria Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 pm

hi becca Smile

i am seriously considering it i always wanted a front tank but my 6ft is only 18" deep & 2ft high so dont know if this is big enough for them as i could move my mbuna to the new 5ft.

i have been looking into tangs alot today & also really like the tropheus but only being able to have 1 type/colour puts me off a bit.

how easy is it to get good quality tropheus? could i have different colours?
victoria
victoria

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Length is more important to Fronts than height or width as when they flight they go lengthwise!!

I had my Adult Burundi group in a 6ft... i would say 5ft is minimum for a small group of Fronts

Becca

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:08 pm

I am mostly a mbuna keeper, so I have to disagree with the "once you've seen one you've seen them all" comment. tongue Their behavior might be predictably the same, but not their looks!

I have been branching out and keeping some Tangs this past year. I don't feel I have enough experience with them to offer any advice, but I can say that I enjoy the tropheus the most. (I also have leleupi - very aggressive, transcriptus - beautiful but boring, and have some juvie calvus and juvie eretmodus cyanostictus - very interesting!)
Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by victoria Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:14 pm

thankyou becca & betty i will consider all advise given Very Happy

i love my mbuna & i agree betty there is no end of variety which is why i am finding it so hard to choose just enough for one tank

who knows i may stick to my malawis in the end.
victoria
victoria

Back to top Go down

Post by Aura Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:17 pm

In the end you will probably buy another tank or two. Very Happy That way you can have more mbuna and Tangs as well. I'm pretty sure that happens to all of us!

Aura
Aura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Aura wrote:In the end you will probably buy another tank or two. Very Happy That way you can have more mbuna and Tangs as well. I'm pretty sure that happens to all of us!

Only if you dont have a fish hating partner Sad Sad (yes they do exist!!)

Becca

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:51 pm

The trick is not what fish to keep in tanks you have its how to convince your fish hating partner that the new tank you need is a must have lol. I myself am mostly a Malawi guy but do have a tropheous tank and a tank of Comp juvies. The Malawi have more color combinations available but Tropheous sure do put on a good show.
Micheal
Micheal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bulldogg7 Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:57 pm

[/quote]
Only if you dont have a fish hating partner Sad Sad (yes they do exist!!)
[/quote]

I finally got a fish she liked, led to a bigger tank, and eventually a fish I've wanted for a long time, but sacrificed a tank full of my favorite fish for. Now I'm down to 3 fish and a crap ton of fry Rolling Eyes
bulldogg7
bulldogg7
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum