Rift Lake Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My preliminary Fwish list.

5 posters

Go down

My preliminary  Fwish list. Empty My preliminary Fwish list.

Post by iceblue Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:35 pm

This is just a start but I like all the species in it. No stocking levels for each species yet but the big advantage is they all come from the same Vendor. A very reputable one at that. Thanks again Jocelyn for steering me back to Daves.

Here is my preliminary list. It doesn't have all the Mbuna I would like to stock But I may add some of the more common ones as a color fill in later...That is if they are on the milder side of aggression. I would like to hear peoples opinions and experience with any of them to give me a better idea how they would work together. Also Daves has a great selection of Synodontis but I'm looking for a particular species that are on the smaller side and like to hang in groups. I've seen them on film. They are very active and not afraid of being out in the open. They also like to inject themselves when other fish are mating. Does anyone have any idea what they could be?

MBUNA

Pseudotropheus sp. 'Williamsi North' Makonde
Metriaclima sp. 'Zebra Long Pelvic' Mdoka AWESOME FISH imo.
Metriaclima sp. 'Mbweca'
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos Maingano
Labidochromis chisumulae Chizumulu Island lab with blue zebra coloring
Iodotropheus sprengerae 'Rusty"
Cynotilapia afra Cobwe 'Orange Back'

HAPS

Protomelas sp. 'Steveni Taiwan' Taiwanee Reef
Protomelas sp. 'Spilonotus Tanzania' Liuli
Placidochromis sp. 'Phenochilus Tanzania' Lupingu
Placidochromis milomo 'VC-10'
Cyrtocara moorii 'Blue Dolphin'
Copadichromis borleyi Kadango 'Red Fin'
Otopharynx decorus Ntekete

Last edited by iceblue on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I'll be adding suggestions to the list as they come in.)
iceblue
iceblue

http://primehandyman.biz

Back to top Go down

My preliminary  Fwish list. Empty Re: My preliminary Fwish list.

Post by Rift_Lakes_Rule Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:00 pm

I believe synodontis petricola are the smaller ones that do well in groups.

You've got some great looking fish listed, can't comment on how they might get along tho. I've never tried a set up anything near what you are doing. That monster tank should allow several combinations to work, or atleast I would think it would. Wink
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Rift_Lakes_Rule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by poolmako Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:13 am

norm i have been keeping the spilonotus liuli for about 8 months now and the male is the largest fish in the tank and is the most mellow fish and is not much for chasing the other fish now this may change if my female ever gets in the mood, and i have the taiwan reef also and its small but very mellow also but i did have a large male a few years ago that was a bit of a bully, love the phenochilus also i have just picked up a pair a month ago and now im settling for the long wait until the male starts to get the speckled look i have read this can take up to 4 years for these fish to get color you want from them, i would put the dolphin in last for these fish are pretty aggressive it helps if you do a small group then they chase each other more then the other fish, one fish you might think about is the ottopharynx decours this is a very cool fish tons of color and pretty mellow also.
poolmako
poolmako

Back to top Go down

Post by larry.beck Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:02 pm

I think the catfish you are referring to injecting itself into spawning is actually the Synodontis multipunctatus, also known as the cuckoo catfish. They look very similar to the Synodontis petricola and both are schooling fish that prefer to be kept in small groups.
larry.beck
larry.beck

Back to top Go down

Post by theswede Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:41 am

Interesting list! Cynotilapia afra Cobwe is a stunner. My favorite among Cynotilapia together with the "hara". Here is a suggestion. My favorite Protomelas. The Mbenji Thick lips. The only problem with this guys are that they grow pretty big and are hard to get hold of.

theswede
theswede

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down